cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Fall 2020 "off combine" price predictions?

Higher? Lower? than today.   I think higher, with the only "reason" being the bear`s kitchen sink was thrown at grains and oil seeds and they haven`t crashed to sub-Utterback levels.  E-plant at Lyle, Mn has truck traffic and blowing smoke, barns have 40lb pigs, gonna try it again. 

Some are saying in August you won`t want to be caught with old crop and the music stops without a chair.

I don`t expect "much higher" but it`s rare crop insurance pays out on revenue assurance. 

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Fall 2020 "off combine" price predictions?

Of course, anything any of us say is a SWAG at this point. That said, my nominal plan at this point is to sell beans off the combine and bin all the corn.  

If (if...) China wants to keep their end of the phase I deal, they will be buying more beans at harvest. I would think the smart thing for them to do (*if* they want to keep the deal) would be to buy US beans at our harvest and South American beans at their harvest.  China's hog herds are rebuilding. I think there will be demand for beans at harvest, so I think somewhat better prices for beans at harvest (low to mid 9's)

It will take a while for ethanol production to get back to full capacity, and even if they do mid-summer, there's still the unused corn that was to go to ethanol over the last few months. Bring in a record crop while demand hasn't fully recovered?  Nah. Bin it and try for better prices spring or summer 2021. Harvest price low to mid 2's.

That and $5 will get you a Starbucks.  Drive-thru only!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The CFAP I program takes some sting off, CPAP II will probably be in the works.   And you know that quasi-sealing grain is good money spent, to prop prices for those that have to sell and buy time for those that don`t.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Say $4.10 corn and $12 beans. 

Trump failing the election will be some spunky crop prices for a change. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yeah and "$3 fats in Tama" too I suppose?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Yeah and "$3 fats in Tama" too I suppose?

Say $142 to $167cwt fats in Tama this fall. 

And no govt checks. 

That's Over.. Folks like You farming the mailbox of your uncle Donald. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If there`s $160 cattle this fall, that means the economy will be booming and you`ll have 4 more years of Uncle Donald Smiley Happy  hope you`re right.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Election effects on crop prices are too late for me.  I hope to have harvest completed before then.  whoops, this is in reply to wrightcattle

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

There wasn`t some big sell off after President Trump "kicked the Persians into the well" overnight so far flat, $3ish cash old and new corn,  tad under $8 old and new beans.  Git a little sugar on toast from the government and this works.  I don`t know, sell off combine and own the board to scratch the gambling itch?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Bassist should tell you whether to sell off the combine or not buying the board is a separate decision all together

0 Kudos