cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Farming limbo

Never in my many years of farming have I ever felt quite so unsure of what the nearby future holds for farmers.  I'm certain that I am not alone. I believe that very soon, there will be many farms up for sale.  From the weather, the markets, the political stuff, taxes, & health care, this farming thing is as far from a sure thing as many have ever seen it.

I'm sure that our fathers and grandfathers faced many unsure days as well.   Their only objective was to survive.  Many today are feeling the same way.

I'm only sure of one thing however......and that is that I don't want to be the last guy to have a farm sale.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Farming limbo

I know what's happening in my area never seen so much wealth exported out of our country through foreign labor.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: At least, ....

At least, they'll show up and work. That is, if they don't get picked up by ISIS

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The weather & prices could take down half the farmers and the "burdensome supply" of farmland on the market could take the other half down, that`s the heck of it.  So far buyers outnumber sellers and kept land values up as a source of equity for farmers to burn while we wait for Superman to bring $7 corn back from the Fortress of Solitude.

Farmers are too specialized, most grow corn & beans and maybe take  care of a hog site and a "small farmer" handles $1 million in operating capital.  In the 80`s a 400 acre farm had sows & cows, corn and beans, one out of the 4 would be likely doing good to bail out the other 3. We`ve became too dependent on other nations for our paychecks.  

As big and specialized as agriculture has gotten, the disaster that appears imminent was only a matter of time, all it takes is one hiccup to mess up the "Chinese fire drill".  

Just a guess but a lot of "kids" came back to the farm in 2010 and that was a good thing, however they are the most vulnerable, because they haven`t shored up enough capital to ride over the bumps.  Then there`s those whose income comes too much from the the farm, percentage-wise.  And those in their late 60`s or 70`s who could probably retire and not put their neck on the stump every year.  Some families might check all three of those boxes and probably won`t want to be "the last one to have a farm auction". 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA,
Since you love trump’s policies what do you say to those farmers that have lost everything for this trade war with China? As I see it China can just wait regardless if trump wins or looses in 2020.

China can continue to invest in other countries to get the production they need. Who knows what will happen with China’s long term strategy.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hey Gio, we can`t continue the +$400 Billion trade DEFICITS with a country that has a list of human rights violations longer than your arm.....why are we propping that  atheist communist country up?????   No farmer has "lost everything because of trade policies" as I pointed out in another thread, beans were the same price at this time of year in 2016 when we were still in a policy of China butt kissing.  

We can`t have above trend yields on both corn and beans for 5 years in a row and not expect prices to be lower...ask a high school econ teacher.  China had ASF and lost as many hogs as the US raises, you think they`re going to buy more beans under those circumstances?  

For 25 years plus now, the US has lost the trade war, living wage jobs were shipped overseas and US workers went from home buyer, taxpayers to entitlement collector, 3 part time low wage job workers.   We have not had real wage increase in decades....we have EXPORTED our wealth.   And now China is showing their true colors, I don`t care if you like this president or not, for your own good you better damned well hope we win it.   China is not someone that could be trusted and never will be.and should be treated as such.  You don`t put rattlesnakes in your sleepingbag, do you?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

So  NOT  selling  AG  products  to  any  country  with  human  rights  wrong  doings  would  leave  us  a  market  with  whom  - 

and  OR  the  last  few  years  go  to  the  CO-OP  and  tell  them  here  are  my  beans, although  if  they  are  going  to  China  the  deals  off, 

and OR  IF  they  are  going  for  meal,  don't  sell  the  meal  to a  Smith-farm   Pork  Outfit -  NOW  WHAT  - ? 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yes, for a country that just passed laws allowing the killing of children after they are born, throwing the first stone might be a bad idea.

There is plenty of sin to go around BA. We certainly do not come to the wedding in a white dress.....

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA,

you are very selective, trump is in bed with Putin but we should not be doing business with China because of human rights violations.  Now that is funny.  

Also, our constitution didn’t select a type of religion for our society. You can be atheist all you want.

Finally, whether I like trump is irrelevant but please do not act so religious on me now.  I just don't understand how all of these religious, supposedly caring folks that idolize trump and are that blind that trump is a racist, a womanizer, been married three times, lies at will, enforces the separation of immigrant kids from parents, acts as he is hiding something,   and so on.    

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Gio.  China imprisons Christians, China brutalizes the people of Tibet and we kiss China`s butt to get another nickle for our beans and keep our local WallyWorld stocked with pink, plastic flamingos. 

https://myktis.com/2018/12/an-imprisoned-chinese-pastors-sobering-letter-to-christians/   

https://freetibet.org/about/human-rights  

President Trump has been tougher on Russia than Dummkopf was.  President Trump is the most ProLife President that we ever had.  Gio, if you are without sin, by all means cast the first stone.  

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/397212-president-trump-is-tougher-on-russia-in-18-months-tha...   

If nothing else...no thing else, President Trump forced China to show their true colors.  We should not export our GDP to prop up such a bad actor on the world stage.

0 Kudos