cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Feed consumption due to cold weather?

Kind of a Cattle Talk question but also Marketing, will the cold weather increase feed & residual quarterly numbers or depress them.?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Feed consumption due to cold weather?

I don`t know, but don`t they figure some cold snaps in?  If we can make it to Saturday, it`ll get up to 20.

0 Kudos
mdietrich78
Senior Reader

Been Fairly cold in Ohio for the last week and I have yet to notice a increase in consumption with My Holstein steers.  The next week doesn't have anything warmer than the mid teens for highs with many nights below zero.  The cold may increase consumption a bit but I doubt it will last long enough to make much of a difference from what I can tell.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Cattle won't eat more unless they have plenty of fresh water to drink. This can be a challenge with the record cold temps. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Historically on our farms, feed consumption is pretty much unchanged, pounds of pork produced goes down once we get below 10 degrees, let alone below 10 below.... Net effect actually reduces meat supply on the same lbs of feed. Not bullish grains, but not bearish either.

Veteran Advisor

So do you market at a lighter weight, or feed more days to make up for the slower gain?   either way it takes more feed to produce a pound of meat, right?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

That is right, pretty much the first law of thermodynamics :-)

We don't have time in the schedule so it usually results in lower market weights. fwiw

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Our cattle started eating heavier in early October to the point that a long time cattleman friend of mine predicted a hard winter. I sent all of my cattle to the butcher or sale barn in November. Average weight of my cattle at the sale barn was 1,195 pounds. It probably wouldn't have paid to keep them any longer to add weight.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Time, do you raise hogs outside or inside? Are you sending any hogs to the new processing plant in Coldwater MI?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

They are inside, but the air quality and temps inside are not optimal once we get below 10 degrees. Our facility is pretty old which of course is not good in terms of temps and air flow by today's standards.

All of our porkers go to IPC in Delphi IN and most of the good cuts catch a 747 out of Ohare bound for Japan.

0 Kudos