cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Feedyard Talk thread

Looks like I deleted the wrong Feedyard Talk thread. I'll try to find it and repost it. If not, know that I was doing some housecleaning, removing threads that are veering away from grain marketing. Those other topics have their home in another Discussion group on the site.

We have a lot of people that love this Marketing discussion group for all of the sharing of marketing thoughts that you guys and gals provide. I'm trying to do what I can to help keep it that way. I know, such as in a coffee shop, the discussion can get off-topic a bit, but for the sake of the site and its reliability and resourcefulness to visitors wanting Marketing Talk, let's keep it in the realm of grain marketing, ok? 

Let's stay No. 1 in this space!

Thanks, gang, for everything you do.

Mike

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

Re: Feedyard Talk thread

keep up the good work.  Not much you can ever do to assuage the perpetually aggrieved.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

Mike you don't abide by those rules......  whatever those rules are......

Possibly we need you to expound on what you think is proper information to be shared on the marketing page.   Or specifically take an entry that you sensor and show us word for word what is "inappropriate ".

The lack of that alone is disrespectful to the writer and the reader.  Therefore I loose respect for you and begin to wonder what could have been the "trigger" of inappropriateness.  Was it the presence of a reference to a former president who facilitated the commodity sales we are enjoying or a history rewrite project referencing a date in history that has been criticized by many historians.  Was it a reference to the sunflower seeds my grandson likes?    

Now we are up to the point where my grandson is inappropriate for the marketing section.... You and I know he is just there to lighten the atmosphere in days that are filled with agitation on every channel .... but your disrespect to us as participants goes a bit too far when you are so condescending as to not even address those you affect....     Being the master of your corner of the internet does not give you the right to be rude or arrogant.  You don't seem to be that creative with words yourself.  But a discussion of appropriateness seems to be beneath you when it needs to be a topic of discussion on the board.   Unless the talk section is just the appearance of something SF wants to have/ when in fact SF would rather have a section with less than 10 entries a year.  The appearance of being a "Farm" publication.

Marketing is ?....................................................something I have never seen defined on the marketing page.

Marketing to the producer is transferring ownership of his possession to someone else at an agreed to price.  When agreement doesn't exist marketing does not happen.

Marketing to a buyer is nothing until he decides to sell that product to someone else hopefully at a profit.  With or without modification or processing.

All else is the language and illustration of the process........ advertising, advising, accounting, commentary.

I think it would be good to know your boundaries .......... what is considered relative to marketing.....?

Obviously shipping, truck traffic, cattle numbers, consumer trends, school menu's,  or whether there will ever be schools again,  even covid response and political trends affect marketing...... little does not affect our prices.  Even the grandsons preference in flavors in a very small way facilitates a commodity transfer..... 

Bill Gates is buying farm land ----- I learned on SF............ Ultra rich farmers will and do have an affect on commodity prices...... But that is or is not appropriate on marketing????? 

If you can't share that information with those who share on the marketing page, you need to take your ball and go home.

clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Some of us are involved in Livestock production too.  That may or may not fit under the umbrella of "successful" farming, but nevertheless, it is part of our farming.  So can we include livestock markets also?    I want ot give kudos to sw for his feedyard marketing posts.  He gives a real world perspective on a lot of aspects of marketing that affect us all.  Some are high profile, some may be more mundane, but all play a role.  I especially appreciate his perspective since we are both in the same corner of the world.  He has a longer term view of this corner, so I learn a lot from his posts.  All a part of making farming "Successful"

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: What I think, ...

I think that government policy, to the extent it potentially affects markets, is fair game, and that includes things like trade negotiations, it's just as important as South American weather,  frozen beef stocks, or soybean crush numbers, and certainly, to the extent they affect agricultural production & price, economic & fiscal policy as well.  The truth is, these factors have as much influence on the markets as anything.  Nobody can deny that the government policy on ethanol has a direct effect on the price of corn.

In a different world discussions on government policy could be on the Ag Forum but it is populated by radicals so you can't a serious discussion there.

Finally, I have thick enough skin so if Mike thinks I've stepped over the line it won't hurt my feelings too much if something gets removed or moved around. 

marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, fellas, fellas, fellas, easy, easy, easy. First off, my Dad once was told me that "Everything comes back to agriculture." And, I believe that wholeheartedly. Also, I believe that there are so many things that impact farm markets, the list would be too long to mention. I agree with all of you. And, as I mentioned in my original post that I realize discussions veer off, even into the grandkids' favorite type of sunflower seeds. 

You have to admit, there's little controversy with posts being removed, deleted, etc. in Marketing Talk. But, every once in awhile the shop needs to be cleaned, right? That's all. Nobody died and made me God, I know that. When the hedge bushes get out of shape, you do a little trimming.

All that I'm asking is to veer off but don't forget to comeback to the core topic (for this page, it's grain or livestock marketing). Help your fellow Market Talk visitors with a strategy that you recently used and tell us why it worked or didn't work. What's your local basis price and why. Is grain moving in your neighborhood, etc....

I think you all know what I'm talking about. Use your horse sense. If it feels like you are going off into the woods with things that have less to do with marketing  and more to do with living in the country, driving a Ford Truck vs. Chevy, or whatever, the politics of the day, ease your way back in, that's all.

Enough said,

Mike

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

OK......I'll veer off.....

In terms of Cosmo's, who prefers orange vodka over neat vodka, I am an orange or citrus guy myself. :-)   Thus, you might want to buy some OJ calls cause I'm using it bigtime :-)

BACK to marketing...hard price floors are easy to get with so much volatility in the mix...something everyone might consider..... 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

the last paragraph says volumes.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Mentioning  the  $114, oo  fat cattle  vs,   $400.oo   packer  margin,  or  fed  cattle  feed - corn  consumption  ever  resonates  - ? 

Will  see  if  this  being  acceptable,  or  a  strict  policy  of  grain  producers  being  allowed  to  vote  -  ? 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Distiller$ consumption,  might  need  to  be  part  of  the  feedlot  corn  bid  conver$ation , also - ? 

0 Kudos