cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Feedyard talk 8/24 .........August cooking along at 103 in the sw

The commodity seismograph seems to be saying wheat, which has carried the leading roll through the summer is settling down in the $7+ range after leading the "we ain't got enough" 10 month rally for a few weeks while corn fights its way through a less that perfect climate of miraculous expectations.  (Keep in mind those miraculous expectations are created primarily to sell new paint and seed)---It is the last few days of August..... snow is just around the 104 degree corner.  It is that time when you go from a good water profile to "scared to stop watering".  This is a scared to stop watering august.

There are "rumblings" that corn will take over the lead in the WAGE 10 month rally,,,,,,, soon.

I saw it the day I drove back down the hill from South Fork..... the august rains did not embellish the state of Kansas (Colorado, Oklahoma west, Texas panhandle).  Even counties that harvested some good wheat lacked the august rain to have a good fall crop.  (I came back for a funeral,  the digging was dry and hot). On the way back the radio said "rains across western kansas" but the crops said "not here".

I am reminded of a term we used to read often on "marketing" by a guy who claimed to be from Missouri.  He is still in that region.    the term.   "Peak".    Peak corn.   Peak Brazil beans.  Peak trend.  Peak usda.  Peak unemployment....... no wait that wasn't his.

Well I think we have reached a few Peaks.    Peak expectations.   Peak corn acres.   Peak potential.  Peak enthusiasm.  and hopefully Peak nonsense.  (probably not)

Unknown.jpeg

6 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Feedyard talk 8/24 .........August cooking along at 103 in the sw

The HARVEST of farmers has begun here.

Basis dropping almost daily on one thing or another on the commodity side BUT increasing on the inputs side.

Beans are even basis at crusher.

Corn dropped another 20¢ this AM at eplant

Filled all propane needs for the winter @$1.50 yesterday.

Did same of diesel @$2.25

Both significantly higher than last fill up.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

thanks for the propane reminder for the furnace this winter''................ intended to do that when I got home from cattle roundup.

I been working on procuring some of that used farm equipment.  A corn head was on the list.... have bid on several used ones and talked to several owners...... just one more reminder that dry land acres of corn are ratcheting down in western kansas.  Have been for three years now.--(one of those reactions to the discussion on lack of profits don't affect market price?

Hard to get a bid on broom corn in the sw these days......... something about cost of production.... all sounds too complicated.    Until grain sorghum went to $7+..... .......................

images.jpeg

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

couple young men coming over this afternoon to put up electric netting around a couple of my problem areas.

Bettya their goats get the upper hand on the two weed patches. Their goats are out of feed and I've got extra weeds. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Funny apologists for the current regime were quick to cheer the failing crude oil prices, yet road diesel is $3.24 and gas in $3.10 all higher than when they wouldn`t talk about oil prices and inflation.   I see crude is up +2 and heating oil & RBOB.  Old maid/old crop corn ain`t too shabby either.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

With an ethanol plant every couple corners and a windmill farm inbetween and the USA as the globes largest oil producer... Electricity and fuel was supposed to get Cheaper not higher. 

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Crude in the 60's - gas in our area around 3 bucks - waivers being granted to refiners??

In the words of that certain football coach:  "What the ****'s going on around here??"

0 Kudos