cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECIN
Senior Advisor

First You have to Understand Beans

There has been -- Alot of talk about how the cool weather MAY help the beans -- But this talk comes --in my book -  from people - that don't know Jack about beans = The trade

First off - I'm NO expert on them - so to speak - but have worked with them for 40 plus years and have  done alot of plot work with them .

6 years ago - I had a 60 acre plot of beans - I did and tried just about every combination of insecticides - fungicides and snake oil there was at the time .

The last day of July that year - the top plot - showed a yield potential at that time and date of 107 bpa  - THEN came Aug. - we only received 2 tenths of an inch that month - 2 tenths !

Came time to cut them - the 107 plot made 61 bpa - the whole field plot made 60.5 bpa  - reason ? there was just not enough rain fall to sustain all the extra pod's - beans

Bean roots Do Not grow down to find water like corn roots do - they grow down with the mositure - that being said , if the ground dry's faster than the bean roots go down - well like my good friend DB-51 would say -- there screwed !

Ask Dennis 1 or Hobby what it's like in Kansas - they got 3 inchs of rain then its been dry , the beans that looked SO great 2 weeks ago - are now dieing - there was just not enough mositure in the subsoil when the top soil rain run out .

I guess where I'm headed with this - if they think that cool temps is a rescue - then somebody is  FOS - they need rain to fill pods and seed size !!!!!!!!!!!! 

Here's a nice read from Nebrasba on this subject - just put out on Aug 23 rd .

Have a great day

BTW got this off the Chat " n Chew Cafe

http://cropwatch.unl.edu/web/cropwatch/archive?articleID=5382623

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SteveBD1
Contributor

Re: First You have to Understand Beans

Totally agree. Beans are going to be terrible. Any of these traders that didn't buy beans are going to be kicking themselves!

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

and a whole lot of nimrods who forward contracted them and can't deliver will be.....well, let's just say....they're screwed.

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

BTW ECI......W T F is this "Advisor" bull**bleep**.   lmao.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Very good post EC. Sorry my phone died the other day. I'll call you back now that our peer meeting is over.

To add to your point, our friends, or uneducated crop observers, at NASS had 67% of the IN bean crop at G/E as of last friday. That is simply misleading, but it is predictable because they never capture crop declines until the damage is irreversible. A better guess for IN would be 30% GE/ 35% Fair/ 30% P/VP as of today.  It will be interesting to see if they even try to catch up to reality, or if they will just wait for harvest to adjust the yield guesses.

Another point that no one thinks about, the NWS-AHPS site has our area of the world as having received .5 to 1.0 inches in August, actual is .4 best case. For July/August 60 days, they have us at 2.0 to 4.0 inches, actual is .9 to 1.4. So, when you look at cx1's map of precip, the market accepts that it is accurate. Summer rains always underperform their algorthims, always have and still do. 

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

wow, i thought indiana was the 'garden spot" of the cornbelt!

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Oh no , Indy-anna was supposed to save the day !!!! The garden spot may have failed us !!! lmao   John

0 Kudos
ehoff4187600
Frequent Contributor

You guys in Indy got it made. We left Indy yesterday eve at 6:30 and it was 84 degrees. Got to Columbia MO 5 HOURS later in the dark and it was 88. 100 here today. If NES 6-14 comes true it will be a fun ride.
0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the article, ECIN.

you know the other big anatomical/physiological yield determining factor in beans - is the genetic maximum  # of nodes/pods per plant or unit area.....and that stage is fixed at V5.

remember, all the hardest hit states this week ALSO had the fewest possible pods - per Pro Farmer tour. IS that called a double barrel shotgun (side by side configuration)

Simon Atkins sure had the right idea, the heat was just 4-6 weeks later than he thought........and remember, the conferance was in Jan.

0 Kudos