cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Five Trips To the FSA Office?

Gang,

I have a question. How many trips do you normally make to your county FSA office, each year? I'm being told that farmers may be making at least five trips this year. And some of it based on poor marketing plans, cash flow shortages. These are not necessarily in order. But, here you go.

Here's why:

1. The first trip to the FSA will be to sign up for the MFP payment.
2. The second trip to sign up to take grain under loan.
3. The third trip will be made to deliver sealed grain receipts to get grain under loan.
4. The fourth trip will involve enrolling in the ARC/PLC crop insurance payment programs.
5. The fifth trip will be to record the PLC yield update, an option offered in the new Farm Bill.

Does this sound reasonable? How many do you normally make is what I'm interested in, mainly.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SteveBD1
Contributor

Re: Five Trips To the FSA Office?

A couple.  Made 2 already. One more for sure .  First one was report acreage planted. 

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

You need to add two more to report crop acres one for spring crop  one for fall crop    Then Several to flirt with the ladies in the office   Well maybe for some people but not most of us

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

You forgot the one to certify acres .

The one across hall to the nrcs to apply for cover crop cost share and then the one later to submit seed receipts for pmt.

Then if you live in a county with no ascs office as I do and rent farms you may get to make trips to several different counties to get all of them signed up.

About wore out a set of tires going here there and yound signing up , certifying and applying, and submitting paperwork and documentation..

So far no payments made just promises.

Did receive prevent plant check from crop insurance few days ago. Got new set of tires with it...

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

add at least 4 trips or 4 days emailing documents after the things you wrote on maps didn't get entered into the computer right..... soybeans became sorghum

add another to go back and pay a late file fee for their mistakes on data entry.  This year I had coppies of the maps I filled out so avoided the late fee but still had to drive the 30 miles twice.

another trip to sign up for marketing payment...... found 5 more fields recorded wrong on acre signup -- found signed under a different operator than the one with the maps.  Ran out of time looking for folders.  Another trip.  That took care of the operator, so turned in the owners share and names.  Come back in two weeks and we should be able to get to the land owners.

Called and said one of the owners had not signed the IRS form last year or this.  Please come by and verify the address.

We farm on the county line and on a state line, so it three different counties and one 55 miles away.  About the time we get it streamlined a little and agree to use POA's for elderly owners the bureaucracy comes up with an IRS verification letter that must be signed by the actual owner who is 85 and cant drive in downstate Okla.  just to verify she doesn't make 900K adjusted gross income per year.  She lives on SS and a crop share rent on her dads old place.  It's anoying to remind her she is poor every year.   That may turn into another trip if the mail doesn't get it back in time.  FSA allowed us 10 days.  The letter will be sorted in Texas and Kansas per trip.  FSA loves email but doesn't file them and she doesnt have internet.

It can be a mess if youve got 8 or 10 different owners.  Or your CED wants to be an authoritarian.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Got a call literly 10 minutes ago from fsa.

They forgot to have me sign some paper on mfp. They want me to have to drive 42 miles each way to finish it up so they can pay me maybe sometime in next two weeks???

Best part is one of the office girls lives five miles from me but can't/won't just bring them home with her...

5 trips? Maybe per month this year for several different months.

Gonna nub off another set of tires.

Guess it's ok, they're deductable, right?

sw363535
Honored Advisor

maybe assuming irs agrees its an approved business expense and not for personal "pleasure".

Better hope they dont ask for an fsa verification, you could end up with fsa making an eligibility verification for a tax deduction.   LOL  🙂

The not funny part is, there are fsa management staff that would take that new responsibility as a wonderful new idea.

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Usually I make two trips a year but with this MFP thing, four so far.

Usually I make two trips per year, one in late winter and another after planting but with this MFP thing there was an extra one in late fall and another one yesterday.

I had all my business for the different counties consolidated to one office so there's no running around to different counties at all.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Not really an option as I rented them in April after previous renter couldn't muster the rent.

I'm getting too old and independent to chase over those acres, one was a bigger rock pile than I thought it was. I have already given notice to both of them I'm not farming them next year.

They are both neighbors that border me and friends. Gonna keep it that way.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

what a difference a couple years makes...... 50/50 chance we don't have to put grain under loan.  Or redeem it.

And I think the door is still locked and a phone/email barrage/ parking lot card table signing.  May still be the order of the day ....... So 0 trips to infest the office this year may still be in order.

0 Kudos