cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwiafmr
Frequent Contributor

Re: Floor Talk April 12

I don't know of any corn planted in this area.....thought maybe yesterday being the 11th of April, because of crop insurance planting date being the 11th of April, there might be someone starting.    We are extremely dry and have had several overnights with below freezing temperatures.   One of my seed dealers stopped a couple of days ago and told me the corn he promised to be delivered around the 14th of April will not be delivered until maybe, and he said "maybe", around the 25th of April....corn is suppose to be coming from South America.  Asked him about farmers switching from corn to more beans and he said he had one large farmer call about changing his order, but he hadn't called back.    He didn't think there would be a lot of switching in his selling area.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Marketeye: nothing like shooting your own foot with your own gun? Absolutely no sympathy from me.

That corn was planted in March, will be replanted in April at a more crop friendly time of year. The guys that need to replant should stand at the absolute end of the line for seed, AFTER everybody who did not waste their time, fuel, and SEED get theirs.  No insurance and no special discounts.

Those pictures to me tell who is a "grower" and who is a "farmer." A farmer wouldn't take a chance on something that only had a 3 to 5% chance of working. How many times in the last 100 years would this have worked as well as doing it when the calendar has the right day and month showing?  

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

But mike, the usda told us that there would be plenty of early corn to make up for the pipeline???????????????HMMMMMMM..........finished planting corn yesterday, just finished spraying everything up.......time to switch meters and see about planting some of these high dollar soya...
0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

FYI........just relying what I heard, but a few days ago snow was mentioned for northern IA............Also this.......http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=300250&mid=2332351#M2332351...........but if the USDA says it's fine then it's all good, I mean the government has never steered us wrong before, right?????
0 Kudos
rightone
Senior Contributor

@marketeye wrote:

At least one analytical firm is directing farmers' attention to the bullish May/July corn (9 1/4 cents) and May/July soybean (8-mo. high) contract spreads. With Midwest rain on the way and possible plantng delays,  the market may see this as a window of opportunity for a switching of acres from corn to soybeans.

What do you think?

Mike

It takes 300+ acres of dried out corn avg to yield what 100 good acres does.

That simple.

Does not matter how many acres are planted if it's most all dry from a subsoil h20 stand.

Just means Mother Nature is going to have to put it all on, and wo heat/evap problems.too.

Nice thing about waiting some to plant, is that may be another day closer to rain ( assuming the current big dry starts to change by then ).

Real "dicey" year in progress from a total production of anything stand.

0 Kudos
IronBob
Contributor

Not many planters rolling here in South Central IL (Christian Co) We're probably 95% planted and 25% emerged. Had some frost yesterday morning but the corn is still looking pretty good. We had a nice rain last week so soil moisture is decent.

0 Kudos
farsider
Senior Contributor

Market could care less I'm sure, it would be tough to not walk those fields everyday hoping that it will grow through the damage. It will be interesting to see how it does in the next few days, my luck tells me to replant before you lose a chance at a full yield but usually we are dealing with problems like that in May and have little time to decide if it will make it or not. Planter won't move until later next week maybe, mixed precipitation in the forecast for the beginning of next week, April looks to a more typical April.
0 Kudos