cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Floor Talk, April 8, 2019

At midsession:

At midsession, the May futures are 3/4¢ lower at $3.61 3/4. July futures are 1¢ lower at $3.70.

May soybean futures are 1¢ higher at $9.00. July soybean futures are 1¢ higher at $9.13.

May wheat futures are 1¢ higher at $4.68 3/4.

May soymeal futures are $1.50 short ton higher at $309.50. 

May soy oil futures are 0.26 lower at 28.89¢ per pound.

In the outside markets, the NYMEX crude oil market is $1.01 higher, the U.S. dollar is lower, and the Dow Jones Industrials are 139 points lower.

Mike

-------------

At 9:16am:

In early trading, the May futures are 1/4¢ higher at $3.62 3/4. July futures are 1/2¢ higher at $3.71 1/4.

May soybean futures are 1/4¢ higher at $8.99 1/4. July soybean futures are 1/4¢ higher at $9.12 1/4.

May wheat futures are 2 1/4¢ lower at $4.65 1/2.

May soymeal futures are $0.70 short ton higher at $308.70.

May soy oil futures are 0.26 lower at 28.89¢ per pound.

In the outside markets, the NYMEX crude oil market is $0.78 higher, the U.S. dollar is lower, and the Dow Jones Industrials are 150 points lower.

Al Kluis, Kluis Advisors, says that investors still know that supplies are large.

“If the crude oil market continues to move higher, then ethanol and corn prices will follow,” Kluis told customers in a daily note.

He added, “I am watching the USDA Crop Conditions report and what it shows in the planting rate for corn. By one week from now, US farmers should report 8% of the corn crop being planted. By April 22, over 25% should be planted. With the weather forecast indicating snow for most of the central and eastern Corn Belt late this week, corn planting is likely to fall behind the five-year average over the next several weeks.”

Personally, I traveled to southwest Iowa, this weekend, and witnessed a lot of farmers putting down gas. There was a lot of fieldwork being done.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Floor Talk, April 8, 2019

Planting will be late and thus marketing is kind of in limbo right now around here.  1/2" rain overnight won't get people in the fields.  Some NH3 in, lots more of all kinds of field work to do and fields are soggy.

From a marketing point of view, while I'm sure the crop will get planted and will be fine most likely, it doesn't fill you with eagerness to take a position.

No grain trucks moving up and down the roads and a fair amount of grain in the bins.

I haven't even gotten my planter out of the shed yet, though I did pick up my seed corn.,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Floor Talk, April 8, 2019

My seed corn is in the barn.  This does not mean that I will plant all of it.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos