9 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Floor Talk August 24, 2021

Red letter day here 

96°

20 mph breeze from the south

3 + Weeks since last moisture event 

Corn is noticeably more mature every day. (Read this as dead)

A month and a half till average freeze.

Will only need that to kill the weeds.

The crop is like the dog in the cartoons ... Just about to hit the end of it's chain. 

From a farmer's point of view it's going to be nice to not have a "burdensome supply"  hanging over our heads. 

Not sure there is the finances around the world for higher commodity prices.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I was up in the Morristown Minnesota area today and when I got up to Waseca (Highway 14 of course) it poured down in buckets.  Rained all the way back home, we got a nice rain at home, but I think this and maybe another will keep us from going backward and holding on to yield that`s there.   Profarmer say 177, I think it needs the 6 bushel historical handicap  and say the national yield will be 171, which is nothing at all to sneeze about.  Yeah what Waseca got, I bet I haven`t seen that much rain in a downpour in 3 years.

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Thought there was something about today that felt "odd".

BA - you got to within 10 miles - rain gauge at our farm had a little over 2".

Dug a hole for bin foundation yesterday - bet the racoons are back playing in it today.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Smiley Very Happy  

Yeah Isc76cat, the crops look really good up there, I think it was last year and the year before it was terrible wet, but that moisture was in reserve just waiting to spring it on you in a dry year and $6 corn.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

104 degrees of envy------- surrounded by cool mornings and good dews..... nutty for this area....

we are pretty sad for an ending --- dry land corn is browning out.

would like to follow the brewers this weekend --- but not sure about the heat in Minnesota????

or in-between 

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Good idea sw - looked at that too but we're heading for MD by way of ND.  Be at the ocean late afternoon Sunday.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Well our little Brett has a birthday here Friday and the other one is starting Thursday in Milwaukee .  So won't come if we can't see you folks....... thank for the crop update.

Travel safe

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

What a difference a turn of one day on the calendar page makes.

.78" of rain this morning early.

Up to 3" few miles south.

Wasn't on the 6 o'clock weather forecast last night.

Came with a constant thunder .

The beans on the bottoms were not showing moisture stress and are filling.

High ground beans needed this . Didn't hurt the corn either.

The yard has already greened up.

Blessed again.

Wind
Advisor

We had 0ur "Blessed rain" 5 days ago 1.16." I believe that one missed you.  With all this heat we are ready for another one.  Corn here is about home and will be very good.  Beans could use another drink yet.  It is amazing how those "just in time rains" can change ones attitude.

Our total rain April 1 to Aug 25 has been 14.73".  That is 7.39" below normal. Yet they were timely and soaked in except for the last one that came very fast.  ( The high rain rate was 21 inches per hour) I have never seen it that high before. Not even close.  This was on my Davis Vantage Pro weather station recorder.   

Fellow famers just 10 miles west from me are losing yield fast in this heat.  Growing weather will soon be behind us and we will be looking for harvest weather.  

Take care and carry on.

0 Kudos