cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: Floor Talk February 10

You said it has been a month since you have been down there and the cob fill was bad !! If you look at the pictures closely it does not even show a hint of tassel or ear. So that tells me that these pictures were taken two months ago ?????

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

jjoseph,

You bring up a good point. Let me check on the date, to be sure.

Mike

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

kraft-t,

You bet, I understand. And I think the most recent example of a lot of talk of no crop, yet when harvest took place a good crop was found, was last year in the eastern Corn Belt. Ohio farmers were not suppose to have a very good crop and some found pretty nice yields in corn and soybeans. Again, not all but some.

Mike

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

jjoseph,

You scared me with that question. So, I just confirmed with the source in Argentina. Those photos were taken a week ago.

Mike

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Fields down there were in all kinds of stages at the time, but I'd say most of the crops where we were were beyond the point shown in these pics and the few that wouldn't have been certainly would be by now assuming the rains did arrive after I left.   High prices right now really don't help me as I'm forward priced already on the crops I grow and I don't play in the markets so doesn't matter to me what others believe.   All I will say is it was an eye opener to be reading this site and others while I was down there talking about how losses were only two or three million ton, seeing it with my own eyes at the time sure went to show how much bs is on the news wire.  It seems to me the multi national players on the ground delay the truth from others as long as possible in order to profit from it, right or wrong, human nature it is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

I have received e-mails from two areas one was in Cordoba and the first of January he said that he was taking the whole corn plan to a dairy farm. He said it was sad to see it killed before time. His normal corn harvest is March some of the corn did not pollinate and was like some of the pictures. The e-mail last week said that new flowers were less than expected and his rows were not closed and were in late R5 and R6 a week ago.

The other contact is in Santa Fe and he was harvesting high moisture corn on January 20 th for a feed yard. It was some of his best ground and the yield was down 40 % from normal. There December is our July. I have 35 weather station I look at and some had only .30 inches, with many under one inch. Now put in 2 to 3 times the temp was in the mid 100’s with some 108 to 111 during pollination. The damage is there, I looked back at the planting data the eastern part of Buenos Aires or zones 7,10, and 14 they planted the last 15 % of corn from December 15 to January 19 so that may be the pictures shown.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't why some of you guys are worried about when the corn in the pics. was planted. Have you ever had corn that looks like this? I have and this stuff is toast. The only thing it's good for is hay  from this point on.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Looks like a rerun of    "88"  from the photos ---good observation Ks---

0 Kudos
Advisor

teaspoon, I thought exactly the same thing when i saw the report of egyptian imports. egypt is always a low price buyer and when they make a purchase it is the lowest price/best value around. eastern european feed wheat would be a heckuva lot closer than the US. We gotta either be a good deal or the only seller in town.(at this point)

0 Kudos
Advisor

I feel that it is now my duty to keep everyone informed that it is SO dry in iowa that we will NEVER get a crop. We're toast already! I hope all traders . exporters, end-users, commercials, and "furriners" realize this( soon) and bid up for my remaining bushels.

0 Kudos