cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwiafmr
Frequent Contributor

Re: cherry picked?????

VRBuck.....no one on this site "cherry picks" as much as you do....I have never seen anyone "cherry pick" as much negative information as you seem to be able to find evey day....! 

vandenplas
Senior Contributor

Re: Floor Talk February 10

Yep, those pictures are legitimate.  They represent the real picture of the crop in South America.  
The world is starving and will come to an end.  Would you like me to post some pictures showing that?  They are out there and they are legitimate.  Go long, baby, go long.  

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

I agree, the world is starving. If the poor cannot afford to eat our meats and buy our grains, the USgov will give it to them via no interest loans.

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

No disrespect but I also remember 05 when Illinois had a drought.  The experts where so sure their crop was toast, it wasn't.  I heard from legitimate experts that said the  crop was toast in their backward. It wasn't.   Don't get me wrong the crop has been dinged, but to say it has been hurt as much as people have been saying is too rash and early.

0 Kudos
teaspoon73
Senior Contributor

If Arg is at 20mmt very little corn will leave S. Amer. Their next problem in a drought crop is vomitoxin. That would be a kiss of death in the export market. Egypt buying US corn, corn is cheap. 

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

I am also a little cautious when it comes to believing how bad a crop is before it is harvested. Many times I have heard farmers especially telling how there isn't even going to be a crop before harvest, and then afterwards saying how the yields were pretty good.

One instance was an old basketball buddy, from Ohio, and he said one summer all of Ohio was drought stricken, and on his father's farm there would be no corn crop. In november I asked how his father was doing with the bad crop, and he replied that his dad got 120 bushels per acre which was a little above normal for that area, at that time.

Go figure!

0 Kudos
Tuke
Contributor

Having gone through a couple years without rain during growing season, I think yields depend on type of soil holding capacityand how well crop is established. Our yields were better than expected one year, we have heavy soils in my area. This year no rain high night temps was hard on corn. One field 59 bushels, other field 76. Corn didn't look as bad as these pictures posted.
0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Human nature mike. I might have a couple hundred acres of excellent corn but my mind is drawn to the 5 acres that drowned out.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Mike,  It's working.  Vrbuck found your honey pot.

0 Kudos
NABFarmer
Veteran Contributor

If those pictures are from the Buenos Airies region I don't think they are cherry picked at all.  It has almost been a month now since I was there but the corn was hurting badly then already with cob fill of only 40-50 %.  We drove over three hours outside of the city and those pics could likely have been taken from any field along the entire drive, that's not cherry picking.  That said I was curious with alot of people forecasting $4 corn if the U.S plants 95 million acres of corn why would anyone with fringe acres even consider seeding it, can you guys make money on marginal land with $4 corn?

0 Kudos