Re: Floor Talk July 3

This Corn was planted in and around the several (5-7) days surrounding Mar 1

The initial photos were taken - March 16-17th. thx

TXCorn4.jpg

TXCorn9.jpg

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

....also, this little Tx belt is aprox. 500,000 ac and roughly 0.4% - 0.45% total US prod = 50 m bu give or take a few. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Outside rows are usually the best in hot, dry weather. Ours looked like world beaters during last years drought. That is until you got out into the field 10 rows. If the entire field looks like that, I'm guessing 65 bpa.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

hanktbd,

i was using a generic 100 bpa.

65 bpa would bring tot down under 350 mil - you are probably closer. We-that area had a relatively hot & dry last 45 days for fill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

CX -- The 65 was just a WAG. Hard to say of that is the best spot or the worst spot or somewhere in between. Usually the curved ears (see the 2 in the pic further away) combined with what appears to be a couple of barren stalks means it was prolly too hot and or too dry during or soon after pollination.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Gee fellas....

I guess some of you guys think that if a county, any county, averages less than the US average, then it's "bringing down the average"????

Williamson county has a 10 year corn average of 71 BPA, with a range of 20 to 103...

seems to me that if it did make 100 bpa, it would actually be bringing the average UP..........if it makes 80, it still might be bringing up the average......

oh well, must be a slow day if I am dredging up this kind of stuff!

Enjoy the 4th

Ray J

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

yep, i see it, especially last month was dry: compare AHPS precip map to USDA planted map for area.

ScreenShot023.gif
ScreenShot026.gif
RFC Basin Boundary Overlay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

it is, Ray.

......and for me to put these maps up for a fraction of a percent of prod.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Gee fellas....

If the 10 yr. average for corn in that county is only 71 bu, you would think some other grain crop would be more profitable than corn. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Gee fellas....

Don't forget all areas farmed are not gardens. I would love to have a 70 BPA winter wheat average. Something considered good for one location but not be so good for another.
0 Kudos