cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Floor Talk June 12 (Report Day)

Around here (central Nebraska) there is already showing up here, and there, a pivot corner on thin soil, that is more or less being left alone, to see what happens to it.  There is a chance of rain through Friday, but the last time we had 80% chances of 1" rain, we got almost enough to settle the dust, so it isn't here yet.  Anyway, there are a couple fields, where the pivot corners are just being left to whatever grows there, with the idea that IF it rains, they will spray for the weeds that are coming up.  I know of two fields within a few miles of me, where you can't even tell what it is planted to. 
Normally, my no-till dryland does better in drought, but ironically, this year, it is the field I deep chiseled.  We fed cows on it, and I wanted to break up compaction this spring.  3-4 days after deep ripping, we got a fast, pounding 2 inch rain (in 20 minutes) and as soon as it wasn't too muddy, I ran across with a field cultivator, to seal it in.  That is my only dryland field not showing drought stress.

On a side note, I see today corn fell 9 cents or so on the nearby, yet on the radio this afternoon, a couple elevators East of me a little ways, are bidding corn 5 cents HIGHER than yesterday.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

DKIL Im located in extreme southern Michigan, 1 mile north of the Indiana line. We are also a mile north of I-80. The corn is starting unroll itself now that its starting to cool off for the evening.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Blacksand...a neighbor once told me, if you have dry conditions, you will always have better luck getting a stand with your planter rather than your drill. Even if you're doubling back and planting 15" rows. So I had a few conventional till beans to plant..and it was 90 degrees and dry. So I used my planter. Beans shot out of the ground in 4 days. None of my drilled beans even came close....

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Tuesday night:

The electronic markets are lackluster. Meanwhile, rain is falling across Nebraska way tonight, according to the Freese-Notis Weather Inc. radar.

InterRAD-1.gif

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Bsand I think it's depth control is better with a planter.  I plant 15" rows and they all look good with just a few half inch rains since planting.  I planted beans for 8 or 9 years with a no till drill and liked the ease of planting with it but I switched to a planter when I started using all RR beans as one can control the seed population better with a planter.  Having better stands because of better depth control with a planter was a side benefit I wasn't expecting but sure am glad I rediscovered

We planted beans in 30" rows until the late 70s when Treflan and Sencor became available and we switched to a conventional drill.  Then to a no till drill in the early 90s.  I got rid of the drill in 2003 I believe, bought a split row Deere planter and haven't looked back.  Not to say I am a trend setter but with in 2 years 90% of the beans around here were planted in 15's.

0 Kudos