cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Floor Talk June 27

These are not years one wants to remember but they make a good young farmer a better one.  Singles, doubles and try not to get picked off and finally just do what you can to stay in the game.  Limit the risk is the theme now.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ok with the picture of the corn.  I may be a butt for say this but THAT CORN IS NO WAY IN HECK GOING TO MAKE 150 bushel "if it rains" .   If the whole field looks like that its over, DO NOT FORWARD SELL ANY.   Your looking at 25-50 bushel an acre IF it rains, without rain, nothing at all.  If it doesn't rain within the next 4 days that corn will cease to exsist.   It may even fall over.   I had corn like that back in 2002 it was appraised at 1 bushel an acre.   I disc it under and raised 100 bushel wheat the next year.  It had lots of left over nitrogen.  

If you do look in the back of the picture it looks a little better, but still I'd say a 75% loss of yield on corn like that.  

the traders are expecting a bearish report because we will NEVER know how bad this corn crop is.  We still dont' know how bad last years corn crop was.   

After reading through the comments again.  This is one year you won't forget. If this year turns out to be a below average year for me that will be 3 out of the last 10 that was below average.  with the weather forecast of high temps above 90 its not looking good. 

Wen to the cattle sale barn last night with a few cows.  The hay was bringing around the $6/bale last week they said it was brining $9.    That was for small squares.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've been in touch with the grower in that pic. It's on bluford soil and the whole field looks that way. And the neighbors field, and the field in the next county etc. This is not a localized worst as it gets pic. If you don't beleive me take a roadtrip to the southern third of Ill and see for yourself.

0 Kudos