cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: I have to say Mike .....

Had a conversation with a grain terminal manager yesterday, He didn't believe there was over half of last years crop (7.1 Billion bu) left.

His best guess was that it should be closer to 1/3 of it was left. That is 4 billion and change.

Iowa is # 1 in corn production and is a NET DEFIECIENT corn user.  In layman's terms we as a geographic area are not only the number one producer of corn we use more of it than we grow. If it wasn't for Minnesota to our north exporting corn south we would run out every summer.

Iowa is #1 chickens

#1 hogs

#1 ethanol

pretty high up the list in turkeys too.

also high on the list of # of cow herds producing feeder calves.

also 300 or more trucks a day making high fructose corn syrup and other food grade products, and that is at just one location.

Just gettin r done inspite of the EPA, DNR, and weather. Due to the first two, most of the cattle finishing has been chased out of state.

Use a fair amount of DDG's and soybean meal too.

Supposed to have 7.1 B bu of corn left out of a 13+B crop. I'd bet against it but as ECIN has said ... not our game, field or rules.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

OOOPS forgot our one dairyfarmer... sorry JR.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Floor Talk March 28

Hobby, I think that they are already planning on 3.5 million for this year and figured in.  Otherwise those acres just went  "POOF" and I guess the gov can do that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Floor Talk March 28

My area shouldn't have any prevent plant acres, but until we receive some moisture, I see a bunch of prevent grow acres.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

With COF almost 15% above last year, and a possible incentive to feed to heavier weights, I think corn usage by cattle is going to be greater than anyone originally thought. And that's a USDA number.

0 Kudos