cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Floor Talk March 29

Hay is really high this year, this won`t account for all the reduced acres, but I know I`m seeding oats as a nurse crop for hay.   In the past, you put pencil and paper to it and figure "I`ll raise corn and buy hay if a need it", well the pendulum has swung back cheap grain won`t buy as much high priced hay as you can raise.  And cattle are good property...oh I know "fats are $120 boo hoo hoo" but try raising $3 corn if you want a really good cry.    

I predict hay`ll be cheap next year.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That was his answer but the real message was ....."we are taking steps to make the cash flow look better "

He doesnt expect specialty beans of hay to be a long term answer..... his comment is we are going to make the cash flow work better now..

Less labor hired was also mentioned.  A labor reference was my reason fir the call.

on that farm alone 16 circles of corn were going to feed and specialty contract beans.  Only 20% of their production acres, but that is 2000 acres and a half a million bushels of production gone on just one farm.  In one county in sw ks there are 50+k acres of cotton replacing corn... there were 30K acres last year.

insignificant when the market moves against those fools who play in the dirt.....in a bureaucratic sense.

Also BA, I think there is a "technical" backlash over due in corn, especially on the fringe.  Fringe corn is raised in much more critical environments.  It takes 3-4 years to choose a couple of varieties that handle those environments well.  The carpetbagging chemical companies will be financing production to keep up sales eventually.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well....siting my earlier in the day post, I did hang on to my hat with yesterday's report.  Also hung on to a few bushels of corn and soybeans.  It's probably a good thing that I did.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Always better to own it than to "hope you grow it"