cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crophugger
Senior Contributor

Re: Floor Talk May 29

I wonder what the traders will say when we get a frost tonight here in NESD. Suppose to get down to 35 with patchy frost.

What would MT say  oh ya....................UGH

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

crophugger,

How far out of the ground is the corn? And, do you think the soybeans have emerged enough to be harmed? By the way, if you get that frost, share some photos with us, in the morning.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
NDf
Senior Contributor

Mike as far as the the g/e rating of 72% goes IMO the dropping of 5% is more important than the actual number if the trend continues down or reverses is the important price factor. Patchy frost predicted here in seND also and some beans are in the first trifollate stage so a forost would suck. Corn for the most part isn't going to be affected.

0 Kudos
highyields
Senior Contributor

Corn along the wind break, two rows in, has that grey/green look and it doesn't unroll anymore.  all the corn is rolling in SENE.  Not a good way to a record corn crop.  I'm not for sure what the trade is thinking taking over 70 cents off of the corn price in 6 days!!  

1) this isn't rationing supply 2) if the trade was really concerned about the new crop being great wouldn't  December corn being going down more then the old crop?   and 3) if its suppose to be lite frost and  35 in South Dakota whats it going to be in North Dakota? 

When I was in college at UNL, the crop sci 131 professor told me that anytime the temp gets over 86 degress, you take .7/bu off for ever degree, that is off of your ideal top end yield.  SOOO,   I lost 14 bushel an acre over the weekend.  If you think back to 2004 we never got much heat after memorial day.   

0 Kudos
GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

Some of the best irrigated corn I've ever raised was in 2002 which coincidentally was the worst drought year locally since records have been kept.  I believe we set a record with the most consecutive days of triple digit heat since records have been kept as well.  I don't believe yield is lost over 86 degrees as long as there is readily available moisture, and it cools down at night.  The killer is hot temps both day and night with short wells.  There were guys in 2002 with low gallonage wells that had some of their worst irrigated corn yields because the water just wasn't there. 

0 Kudos
crophugger
Senior Contributor

Well after a little drive tonight the corn got hurt along the edges of the fields from the frost last night. To early to tell how much will have to wait for warmer temps to see how widespread the damage is throughout the fields. Talking colder temps tonight to the west and north into ND. Cant be good for the wheat. Raining here now so,praobably won't freeze here in extreme NESD. Can't tell on the beans yet. sucks nicest start in my 30 year farming career may have come to an end.........

0 Kudos