Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Food stamp payments

BA D: I'll vote for that

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Wow gregs that nine year old chart from a liberal think tank really convinced me!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I kudoed it because it was supportive data, I agree that needing assistance does not mean laziness, and I still do but the source is telling.  

the whole problem here is you so easily slide into the definition of work.  Redefining terms is the primary form of manipulation of data.  To some, interviewing is considered work.  I field several interviews a year that are just fulfilling a requirement to look are locked into the mental attitude of defeat.

But everyone who hires deals with it.

I buy parts in a neighboring town where a the parts clerk says repeatedly----- everybody who wants to work has a job.

Many of the employers here use tests to weed out those without self motivation.

This last year I had a first of rejecting an interviewer for obesity.  He was 26,  I told him I would consider his aplication if he could get himself through the cab door of a sprayer, tractor, or combine in our yard.  He didn't even try.  I don't think he could have handled the three steps up to get there.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yes - but can they catch the farmer ?????

Krafty was really lowballing.You realise that a farmer raising $500,000 of corn and $300,000 in beans is going to be getting a lot more than $10,000 in benefits from the government. And that would be a smallish farmer I would guess.

Direct payments and subsidized insurance adds up.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

If I had state $20,000 or $30,000 there would have been a firestorm of farmers saying they don't that much. All one needs to do is go to EWG website and look up your own acount. I mean every farmer look up ther own a count and ee how much they have harvested from the the government since 1996 and even smaller farmers have some staggering amounts compared to the food stamp moms.

Yes it is true that many working people qualify for food stamps. It because the jobs do not pay them enough to live on. And that is one of the shameful items of concern. Many farmers oppose raising wages or even minimum wages, Yet somehow they are deserving of great price and subsidies as well. What bothers me is they think they are so damned superior to po folks that can't get a decent paying job.

BTW I respect people that work. The guys on here that farm a few acres and work a full shiftt in town deserve my admiration. But i don't much respect those that have their nose deep in the usda hog trough and still look down their snouts at the po folks that cannot bring home aliving wage. We aint no better than anyone else. We just been dealt a better hand.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Truth be told, that farmer getting the farm subsidy in direct payments and "cheap" insurance is doing more for "po folks" than any other group, including the federal government.  USDA would get nowhere near their mythical "100 million acres of 170bpa corn"  without that carrot dangling in front of those farmers, it really is a big bang for the taxpayer buck.  And the po` folk don`t pay those taxes either.  What is it so many like to parrot, "don`t bet against the American farmer"?  well without the "cheap" insurance the odds would be a bit different.   `Greed is good`- Gordon Gekko

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

kraft must have missed basic economics class in school,  possibly out smoking dope with obama's choom gang.

Raise the minimum wage and what happens?   Well retailers and manufacturers must then increase their prices to cover the added overhead in wages.   So the min. wage guy stocking shelves suddenly finds out his groceries higher in price because it reflects increased costs of doing business.

Further,  basic economics is supply-demand.    Currently,  there are more unemployed than open jobs in the obama recession.  So employers don't have to bid high for low-skilled employees.   Compounding that is illegal aliens competiting for those entry level jobs with citizens. 

There's your economics lessons,  kraft.   You're welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

jput- Raising the minimum wage also means more money stays and circulates in a community. This would have the effect of pushing up all job pay grades. More young people would stay in rural areas and circulate. A broader based retail segment thrives. More for the barber, the local restuarant, the drugstore,  the donut shop, tavern, church, and on.  

The flip side is that  it also means a lowered  need for government support (welfare, etc)  because people receive more of their  income from the marketplace.  Immigrants would not be competing for jobs like they do when rates are lower because everyone at the low end has  a higher income.  Yes, farmers and ranchers might have to pay more, but to find good help we already do that. 

Might be good for local economies.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yes your laudible economics lesson tells me that you think if you paid your hired hand more that your selling price for soybeans would be $20 and corn $10. That is the logic you are using.

Youve been taught that cost of production determines price when in fact it has little to do with it. Competition in the market place has far more to do with it. Raising the minimum wage does not automatically raise prices because the retailer may already be charging all that the market will bear.

My grocery prices already are determined by competition. They are competing with other stores and striving for the low cost product and marking up according to competing stores. Do you think Walmart doesn't know that forcing their employees onto the government dole doesn't impact their P&L statement.

BTW I have never smoked dope in my entire life, not once. Secondly you can be incredibly stupid without the benefit of illegal drugs. In fact your economics class has taught you logic that just isn't supported by reality. tell the guy that is striving for a wage increase that he is really better off without one. His groceries will cost him too much. See if he buys that argument!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

SO, .....  being against the American farmer is being against the lucrative subsidies the American farmer receives because those subsidies benefit everyone else  -  and the American farmer wouldn't do what he does w/o them.  But helping people survive by aiding them with food and minimum benefits is a black hole that benefits no one.

Sorry, here's where I get off the boat every time. It's grand illusion time. This thinking is definitely 'entitlement thinking'.

0 Kudos