cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Food stamp payments

Sometimes our "reality" isn't supported by reality.  Because our reality is contrived to fit our beliefs which will not change.

Stand in the grocery line and see what passes for groceries --- it is also an undefineable term ---groceries.  one farmily will spend 800+ a month and the nex will feed the same size family with 300.

Which by the way usually brings up the question in my mind------- Why do houses have kitchens these days.  All we need is a microwave, a fridge, and a trash can from what goes through the grocery line.  Pies, cakes, chicken and lots more leave the store ready to serve most of the time.  You seldom see sacks of flour, sugar, beans, cornmeal, yeast, etc ------ times have changed.

I bet my mom could still feed a family of 5 on $300 per month even at these prices.  Basics are still cheap.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Kraft for the record, the majority of the time my hired help eats at the same table as I do, eats the same things we do, all prepared by my wife.  She has even offered to help clean his home and take care of his laundry if he gets busy and doesn't have time.  Over the years we feel like we have treated him fair, given him raises on a regular basis including bonus pay, even showered him with gifts a few times if we knew their was something he was really wanting that might be out of his reach (within reason).  He has always been on our health insurance plan and I'm assuming all is well in that department because he has never brought up a single health care issue to us.  His old set of wheels are just about to the point where they are entering the unreliable department and he is starting to worry whether or not he will make it back home if he ventures to far.  We've had his ride repaired at our expense several times and even paid his auto insurance a time or two.  Never fear, my wife once again welcomed him to use her ride and he gladly accepts.  We don't worry, he takes great care of all our equipment and possessions.  If our wheat harvest is an abundant one, the wife and I have talked about giving him a little extra bonus money to be used for the purchase of some more reliable wheels.  I guess what I'm trying to say is we treat him like a member of our family.

Ah chit, I can't keep a straight face any longer and my side is about to bust.  My hired man is my youngest son and we're planning on buying him a new BMX racing bike after harvest.  ROTFLMAO  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Shaggy I figured you were talking about your kid after the first sentence.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

That's pretty good Shaggy but I didn't doubt for a minute that you might be generous with an employee. There are good guys in the farming community as well. You could be one of them.

You don't make a habit of disparaging working folks as some folks do.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The topic was about food stamps, Rawhide. How many of your acquaintences recieve subsidized housing and other benefits? I don't have any acquaintences in those circumstances. Have you met any or are those complaints harvested from a conservative rag?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I pay my CPA alot of money to keep me out of jail.  He best not be doing anything to put me in jeopardy.

Actually, I am conservative but most on these pages would not believe so. Insanity is not a prerequisite to being a conservative although empathy should be.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Why is it part of the conservative mindset to make low income folks inelgible to vote. So its true then that republicans want to stifle the votes of poor folks?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Who ever said that all poor people are democratic? There are a lot of conservative folks that have been dealt a poor hand as well. Personally, I've never agreed with any form of minimum wage. A man (or woman) should be paid what they are worth. Someone that can see past the end of their nose is worth more than someone without a care, other than that almighty paycheck. Work ethic, or lack thereof is what has given 47% of our country my hard earned money. This country has become extremely lazy and our govt enables this. There is no inventive for an urban kid to work hard. He can make a better living watching cartoons and getting a part time crap job in the afternoon to support his drug habits. Next he gets free support to get him off the drugs after his arrest. I'd gladly not have a vote to prevent that type of person from continuing this type of life and condoning of it.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I had to look up what I had received from the government at the EWG database and also entered what I received from the gov. payments and crop insurance benefits yearly..  They were off by 50% until I added up the grain that I put under loan each year and pay back, but I guess that is a handout also.  What a joke.  I farm 900 acres and I received as much as a neighbor that farms 3500 acres but never puts any crop under loan.  what a joke.  Well, it does make me look richer than I am.   What a JOKE.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Kraft-t

If you got a crop loan, it is included as part of your 'gift'. Don't let the fact it was repaid cloud your perspective of the rationality  of the data base..

0 Kudos