Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: For the curious - this is the Palouse

Palouser,

When, how, and who settled the region??

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The story is that most people who wound up farming here went to the Williamette Valley in Oregon, found out the ground was already taken, and came back to the Palouse. Later an influx of Scandinavians. Ranching was first and then they realized the hills would produce good crops. Leveling was invented for pull combines and the game was on - with up to 42 horse/mule teams. Now THEY had catbird seats on those machines because you had to see over the ridges sometimes to see the leaders. Probably could find photos by looking up horse drawn combines/Palouse.

The fabulous Silver District in north Idaho drew a lot of hard rock mining which continues to this day. The Walla Walla valley to the south and west attracted people also. Spokane to the north was the regional center for provisions, equipment and shipping for the various areas. Weyerhauser picked up stakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin and moved to the Northwest and the interior was ringed by sawmills. A lot of natural resource exploitation.

Hudson Bay's most famous explorers came down from the north looking for furs and the Columbia/Snake rivers had the sea connection at Astoria. The Nez Perce sort of watched, figuring their decision to not kill Lewis and Clark stood them in good stead. They were wrong and they got screwed. We took their horses too - the Appaloosas.

Senior Contributor

Pal:  We didn't get much when we stole those App's!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

They weren't quarter horses. They threaded 200 miles of mountains every year to get to the Plains. They went all the way to California. Excellent traders. Go between for the coast and plains Indians.

The Nez Perce have a long term project to develop a new breed they will own. They still reside in some fantastic rugged and beautiful country.

I ran afoul of the spam screener using the word 'L1ve'.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

One grandfather talked of the horse drown harvesting in Washington.  Every time I am out there I find myself trying to imagine how wild and beautiful that region was for the early folks. The seasonal changes on the river systems alone would have been amazing.

My dad had a cousin who was in business in Spokane.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

There were two reasons the Nez Perce whipped the US cavalry so badly so many times until they were pinned down by cannon at  Bear Paws in the snow with no cover just below the Canadian border. 1) The treaty enforced on the Nez Perce bands was only signed by one Christianized group and 2) The government kicked them out and forced them to cross the Snake at flood stage with all their stock - which they managed successfully in what had to be a miracle. From then on it was personal. Some rivers around here have to be reafted in wet suits during the first part of summer to avoid hypothermia and a few are killed every year just because of massive flows in freestone rivers where you can see the 'grade' of the river headed down, through and over boulders.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

We go across the Grande Ronde river to get to Chief Joseph's summer camp at the foot of the startling Wallowa mtns, gateway to the Eagle Cap wilderness whose peaks are @ 10,000'. To get there we go down Rattlesnake grade into the Grande Ronde canyon and back up. The worst parts of the grade are hard to get a pic of. Some of the guard rails are probably from the 30's to the 50's - what there were of them anyway. Only lately have they added some newer guards. One time my wife was pretty upset w/ me because I had my head out the window watching Golden Eagles straight above high over the canyon while keeping one eye on the road as we headed down.  I have seen people who were raised on flat ground get white knuckled, mouth open, breathing hard and on the verge of pure panic - and even laughing hysterically - on roads I think are among the safest around.

I will tell you Ray J and his wife were rock solid Smiley Wink

Here's what I'm talking about. Keep in mind that photos have the effect of 'flattening' terrain.

Grande Ronde .jpg

Rattlesnake grade.jpg 

0 Kudos
Advisor

thanks Palouser.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It was always interesting to see those old pictures of 20 or more horses pulling those big harvestors in the hills. Beautiful pictures of the area. 

0 Kudos