cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Forage ?

Do any of you guys know weather there will be any pasture or hay fields planted this year,new or renovated?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: Forage ?

No. Everybody sold the cows...
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Horses still need to eat. If the economy crashes again then horses will go hungry again. In my area people not being able to feed their "pets" had as much to do with forage acres being converted to corn as the price of corn. More acres to forage? Maybe. But not much.
0 Kudos
wco
Contributor

There is no money in forages,( storage transportation) . With rr crops , its corn and beans road to road.

0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Farmerguy89,It seems funny thats the case of everyone sold the cows.What I know about livestock guys that ever bothered much to have cows around is,it gets in their blood to the point its not so much about money as it is the love of the being a stockman!

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

All that's left are the pastures that you can't work up bc of rocks and trees or the inundated bottom land. Of course dairy farmers have their own stash of alfalfa, but that's it.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

In my part of the world the thing I said about horses is similar for cattle. the average herd in this state is about ten head. Ask the average cattleman about the size of his herd. The response: I've got ten cows, I would have eleven if I had a better job.
0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

How much did the economy crash the last tme around?

I think cow slaughter yr over yr has not changed much.

IF,, if ,,  they all sold the cows", or a higher than avg %,

wiil we not see feeders at 2.50 cwt by next summer?

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

We won't see feeders that high because the consumer will eat chicken/pork at a cheaper price. Also, beef is a death trap.

There are guys doing beef, but small hobby farmers in my areA and big pasture read like I said. There are thousands of acres of rock land around me. Most crop land is for crops now. BSE has caused enough trouble in the pAst here too. There's a handful of cow people, and an army of crop/ dairy farmers(quota system here).
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

As far as the livestock questions go, I think a lot of the posted comments are based on backyarditis. Livestock is and always will be greater in the plains states then the Midwest, simply Econ 101. If our numbers weren't down, would we have $2.50 feeders. I don't think so. It still takes a cow/calf operation to supply the feeders. Simple supply/demand ratio.
0 Kudos