cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Freeze/frost warnings in IA,MN,ND, SD

Just talked to a buddy at Alex and they were in the high 20`s this morning, they`ve been dry raise only corn for silage.  Growing point underground yet, but this sets pastures, hay and corn back, maybe smoke emerged beans.  Southeast Iowa reports of replanting and crop still has first time planting to go.  Merchman Seeds guy on WHO BigShow was sayin` corn planted May 2nd had to be replanted, rain starved it from oxygen and leeched out applied nitrogen.

Beans are tough, I`m watching my peat ground tomorrow morning, we`re in frost warning, but can be 8° cooler in the low ground.  There`s a reason back when we were smarter, we didn`t get excited about putting beans in until May 20th.   Saving grace may be ground is soaked keeping it a little warmer.  I recall in the 80s I cultivated some corn on about June 5th and that night a hard freeze and opening up the ground made it just enough colder and we had to replant Sudax.

https://www.agriculture.com/news/three-big-things/3-big-things-today-may-27-2021 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Re: Freeze/frost warnings in IA,MN,ND, SD

Blue on the radar this morning east of the Twin Cities into central WI.  I think blue means snow.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Yes lsc76cat, this cold weather is clipping away advantages of early planting every day. Some fields getting wooly, due to lack of tillage and too dry for pre`s to work, gonna be late next week before a guy gets out with a half shot of Resicore.  Corn`ll be coming on V5 soon.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I recall the great Summer Solstice frost of '92.

Actually, not that great. Like you guys, I went to bed that night thinking that corn might be a bit higher come morning on account of some frost warnings up north. When I got up, it wasn't but there was some funny white stuff on the barn roof.

Weirdest thing. If you went up in a plane there was a band of brown that was 2-5 mi wide running from SE of Chicago down almost to Cincinnati. I only had one field of corn hit bad but a lot of stuff got completely smoked just to the west. There was just this little band where the cloud cover broke at the right time in the morning.

'92 was a strange year weather wise but also ultimately a mega-record crop.

BTW, we had a nice crop coming along slowly under cool, dry conditions at that point. Then the whole thing changed and it rained at least an inch every week for the rest of the summer.

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

I had cultivated corn freeze on the summer solstice, too, in the 1990's. Was waist high corn, it smoked the leaves but the dang stuff kept on growing, put out new leaves, and yielded great.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Some of the very worst just flat out killed the growing point.

But more general problem was with dead leaves getting tangled up in the whorl and you end up with a twisty, non producing stalk.

Some took choppers set high and trimmed it off, I think with mixed results.

I can’t recall the details but in one of those weird weather guru things a guy gpredicted something to the effect of we’re going to have a drought unless there’s a frost on the solstice/full moon and then if there is it will rain all summer.

I actually think that may have been Acker. Like all of them, one great call did not guarantee future results.

0 Kudos