cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Friday night frost?

Southern Mn predicton is several hours of low 30"s on Friday night. If a large part of MN, Dakotas, Wi, and Northern IA ends up with brown corn by Monday morning, will we see limit moves for a couple of days to get cash corn back to $4, or is this a pipe dream?

Its hard to find time to plant it twice if you don't get going really early.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Friday night frost?

The forecast is 37* that night with possible frost in the valleys here in central Iowa.  Maybe the "market movers" had this in mind with the move up in corn today.  Any beans poking their necks up yet, up there? A rather cold forecast even for next week.

Lots of corn up around here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

90 degrees last week and 28 forcast here Friday night.

Welcome to Minni--soota

Sould be interesting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Chance of frost "here" in the southern Michigan/northern Indiana area this weekend. Doesn't matter as much since a lot of the seed is still in the bag. I farm slightly less than 200 acres of sandy loam and I'm still not done if that tells you much. Corn I planted April 19th looks great... for now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Saturday night worse....29F predicted now

yikes!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/midwest-northeast-us-this-weekend-15-20-degrees-below-nor...

Glad I only have about one third of my corn up, and the beans are still in the "bag".

Maybe this is what we need to move the corn market back into a profit zone, though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Saturday night worse....29F predicted now

Smoke from the Northern fires playing a role here?  After a cold next few nights our temps are forecast only highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's.  This is a piece of the pie we have no control of. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

These temps won't damage much in NW Ohio..........Not hardly anything planted yet.    BTW,  I like pie!       Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Markets have tended to deal with corn frosts similarly to wheat- buy the rumor, sell the fact.

The general agronomic notion is that it doesn't matter if you burn the top off as the growing point is still below ground.

My experience has been a little different as some percentage of shoots struggle to get through the dead tissue and there's some stand loss and a marked increase in unevenness in the stand.

May have been true once but not when you're shooting for 220 with a perfectly emerging  33K drop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Alot of things at play, like here they say 32º but that is at the 6 foot level at the airport, not in a low flat peat field, i`ve seen where the radio will say "39º" and it`ll be frosty in the peat.  My corn there is spiking, but a frost won`t do it any good. Rain is predicted today, moist soil might protect it a bit.

You can call it "climate change" or whatever, but as a kid in the late 70`s it was my job to moldboard plow the peat about this time of year and it was common to be plowing up frost and watch it melt on the round back, we never thought about planting there before the middle of May and usually it was the 20-25th of May...it was known to be too cold to be any earlier.  This year if a guy wasn`t done with corn totally the 25th of April, everybody even city people looked at you like you were a nut.  I held off on the peat until May 3, glad I did, but it was alot of peer presure...now it`s spiking, the growing point safe underground.

Sometimes along tree lines there`s radiant frost on deals like this.  The beans that are up will be interesting.  One thing about it, it`s still early if there is any replanting needed, if this was June 5th (and I`ve seen that) the growing points would be out and post chemicals sprayed, alot less options.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

FWIW, morning weather roundup from a major commission house analyst plays down frost potential, plays up the drier forecast.

Can't say that he's wrong, it'll be what it will.

0 Kudos