cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Friday's Drive

The wife and I did a crop tour Friday. Got carried away and wound up in Minneapolis, Mn. From 40miles SW of DM Iowa to Mason City, Ia not one corn field rolled and the beans looked great too. Not saying there will not be problems with lack of subsoil moisture in the future but Friday things in the I35 corridor in Iowa north of DM were "normal" except the %of tasseled fields was enormous. North of Mason City started seeing moisture stress and north of Albert Lee, Minn. more lack of moisture problems.

From there we went to Milwalkee, Wis. crops didn't look too good in much of the area east of the Twin Cities.

The only real problem I saw in Iowa was about 10ish miles south of Mason City on the east side of the Interstate. One large field turned mostly golden. Had been sprayed with the wrong herb. It appeared to have a beautiful uniform 1000 stand left. What ever seed co it was had done a good job of putting in a contaminated seed variety in the bag. Every 10 ft or so one very healthy corn plant.

Much of the heart of Iowa will have a harvest, maybe not a bin buster but will have a harvest.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Friday's Drive

Got to go guys, more tour details later

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What to believe?  Heard from a guy from Iowa that drove up to the cities that the corn had that greyish tint to it and was rolling all the way up to Rochester MN I guess he might have taken a different route..  I guess second hand info is as good as what you pay for it.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Wow, here in South Central MN, the lighter soils is burned off already. The good soils are showing signs of stress. No rain in the forcast. It will not be a bumper crop this year. My guess is 10% loss already.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I was in Albert lee once if I remember right the soil looked tremendous
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Brock says Minnesota is going to have a record crop
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If, there is always an if..........minnesota will have a record crop if.........
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I went up I35. if he went to Rochester he would have been 50 to 70 miles east of my route. It has now been several more days of no rain. North of Albert Lee it was in varying stages of growth and most was showing moisture stress, some was getting severe some just needed a drink.

0 Kudos