cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Re: From the floor August 8

Mike,  thanks for the pic's.  agronimist in Ili. said early corn -30 bu. and late corn -60 bu. I'm confused now because your scouting show's the opposite.  I have lots of moisture now but most ears have dented really shallow kernals.  stillgreen ears what yield can I expect[so. central Ia.]

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I wonder if increased plant population, during a dry year, is causing these ears to really fight for moisture? The area I was in was just east of Bloomington, by the way.

Mike

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Mike speaking of plant population what is the population of the fields you were in?  Also  the no. of rows around the cob and a better view of the length of the ear would be nice. While I"m asking for the moon how about the yield potential for the area the samples were taken from.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

ShelladyOptions said, "The US has a lower CDS rate than some other AAA rated countries..Kind of hard to explain."

Have the other AAA rated countries taken more measures to stop current and future borrowing?  In other words, have they realized they cannot keep borrowing more and more forever?  It seems our legislators and President have not.  That could explain our lower rating.

I don't know if this is the case.  I'm just asking.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

You know I'm not sure. All very good questions. I believe the late planted field had a population of 28,000-30,000 or so, with 14 rows around. I didn't check the early planted field's ears. I guess I thought that crop spike for itself. On the length of grain, the largest ear read 9-inches. Everything else was smaller.

HaHa! Yield? Safely, I would say average and that is about it. Again, that could change with more rain.

Mike

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

@marketeye wrote:

You know I'm not sure. All very good questions. I believe the late planted field had a population of 28,000-30,000 or so, with 14 rows around. I didn't check the early planted field's ears. I guess I thought that crop spike for itself. On the length of grain, the largest ear read 9-inches. Everything else was smaller.

HaHa! Yield? Safely, I would say average and that is about it. Again, that could change with more rain.

Mike

It is amazing what these crops can and will do if they get the right conditions.

I posted some pictures of some corn fields in Ontario in Crop Forum earlier

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Crop-Talk/Ontario-corn-crop-pictures/td-p/93403

They were taken last day of June or July 1st.

I was by that field again on Saturday past. Did not have my camera but the corn close to the road is now tasseling. About 1.5 metre high but green, growing and tasseling.

Will it make a crop?

No idea, but 1st of July I thought it was a complete write off, now they will at least get some green feed.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think its just the heat that took the toll on the yield,  Was it wet in that area this spring?  Maybe some uneven emergence.  I'd like to know what Company that seed was bought from.  I don't want to run anyone down but we only plant one companies corn and the one number that I was told that was a "top yielder' didn't pollinate worth a darn.   I also don't think that the "BT" hybrids are really that good anymore,  I think it loses something in the plant.  My grandfather use to say when horned cattle where replaced with polled cattle, the polled cattle didn't do as well as the horned cattle
Its a give and take with genetics in my opinion.   

what is average yield in that area??

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks Mike. I ment to ask what the average yield potential is for the land not what  it would run this year.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I'm surprised that condition only dropped 2% and am not sure I believe it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think the much needed rains last week may have perked up the appearance of the corn crop enough to mask the unrepairable damage that has already been done.

0 Kudos