cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Women in Marketing

Well I'm starting to feel right at home in this discussion boys!

Hubby has always been more of a thinker than a doer.  Anything he had ever learned at extension meetings, on Market to Market, or in farm magazines that he read were never acted upon because he thought he knew better.  Or, by the time he did act, an opportunity was missed.  I was happy to be the bookkeeper for our operation, but working with other farmers - successful farmers - gave me glimpses into more profitable ways of doing things.  I began to educate myself as much as possible.  I started keeping track of prices, and noticing seasonal highs & lows.  I began reading what you guys say here on this board.  When I made my first forward contract, I had the courage to say that I didn't know what I was doing, which hubby would have never done.  Then, "since I had experience with such things", he made it my regular job, although he tries to tell me when to do it.  Sometimes I listen, often I don't, which he resents.  But we're finally turning a profit, which I think is the idea, right? 

It's always been my fault for missing the big sale, and it's my fault for selling at the wrong time, and it will probably be my fault when we have to pay too much for taxes, but I've accepted my position in this partnership.  I don't particularly like marketing, but in our own wierd way we're maximizing our strengths, as p-oed said.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Old Timer's Quote

"The old timers that have been married for many years always tell you to keep em barefoot and pregnant and in the house, that is the way they are happiest. Keep em out of the business!"

Sounds like a good way to up th world poplulation, and that may have been neccessary in their day,but I don't think it is now.

Looks like your in a good position on your grain.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Old Timer's Quote

I can't see any reason for marketing to be gender based.  I'd think men and women would be equally capable.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Women in Marketing

IMO many, if not most, farmers don't like marketing. Yes, they like to hit the high for the coffee shop, but often act uneasy, nervous or uninformed much of the time. From this comes much of the marketing humor. There's often a grain of truth in it. Some of these same people are quite good at organizing the labor or methods of getting the work done. Marketing is quite often not nearly as concrete.

The key to any marketing depends on the amount of information one gathers - as with everything else - except little about marketing is readily visible like the rest of farming can be. Another aspect is being able to understand what kind of 'filter' one needs to create a big frame of reference to hang that information on. Luckily there is no shortage of historical data.

I don't see why a woam should be any worse at it than a man. I think the issue tends to be the priorities regarding families, outside jobs etc. Probably one hang up is the idea that a person who knows how to grow a crop and understand the machinery needed and used and spends the time on the land doing it will tend to assume they should be the best person to market it. I don't know that the skill sets needed are necessarily related.

0 Kudos