cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Senior Contributor

Re: From the floor January 17

kinderb,

You made my day. It's always great to bring someone from that 'lurker' position into being an active participant with us. See, it doesn't hurt does it? The fact is, I get the feeling there are a lot more like you. Feel free to share that 'coming into the light' is a feeling similar to being freed. Smiley Happy   Thanks again for sharing and look forward to visiting with you more often. You're right, making those small sales is probably the right thing to do, in an attempt to ride this thing higher. On your last thought, I'm told that compared to futures prices, the cash prices are not expected to go to the moon. In fact, the gap between futures and cash is expected to widen, going forward. Why? A full article on this very topic will be appearing in next month's Successful Farming magazine. I hope you get a chance to read about this and get back to me, on this forum, to reply with your opinion. I don't mean to throw a teaser out there, just don't want to ruin it for you.

Again, great to have you active kinderb, what are your neighbor-farmers saying about this market and their planting intentions? Or, are they undecided?

Mike

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

In my case Mike, I am more or less locked into a corn/soy rotation due to HEL land designations by the FSA office. So, I will be planting 2011 with a little more corn than beans as last year it was vice a versa.

Really, though, I think at $14/bu soys and $6.00/bu corn there will be a pretty profit to be made as long as you grow it in 2011 for all. I am still holding off selling my '10 soys. Things are a bit too jumpy right now to start pricing them, and I don't have near the bushels of beans to price as I do corn. But with prices above $6 on up for corn, I am a gonner. I sold corn sub $2.00/bu and collected an LDP too many years, and now, to be able to tripple that price, w/o gov. subsidy, well, -------

Thanks again for your interest in what us old corn cobs are doing out here. and your excellent information you freely give out.

0 Kudos
winger667304
Contributor

Based on what I've read over the weekend and with no good coverage of rain in Argentina I am leaning towards a higher open on Tuesday. Along with that add in the rumour of China now buying corn and there should be ample feed for the bulls to chew on. On the other hand I have been a victim of this market before so there is always that feeling of this is too good to be true lurking in the background.

I find it hard to be sympathetic to all this talk of food shortages and riots due to rising cost of grain. Where these same scribes around when we where producing grain for years on end at below the cost of production while both husband and wife where working at off-farm jobs. Maybe if there had been profitibility in the grain sector more money would have went into technology, land improvements etc. thereby increasing yields and world stocks. This of course is a pipe dream as it seems with a little grain in the bank prices plumment so like I said let the market panic as there is lots of groung to make up. 

0 Kudos
centralillinois
Contributor

Show me someone who has half his corn left and I'll show you someone who got stuck in June with a couple bins of corn worth close to half of what it is today.  We might try to get back what was lost last year.  Most ethanol plants have corn purchased below $4 which will take them until the April/May time frame.  They won't put on the brakes until they have to buy at current prices.  I plan on selling the 80% of 2010 corn I have left two weeks before the ethanol plants halt production, two weeks before the exports drop and two weeks before livestock numbers drop.  I'll let you know how that works out. 

Sleep is not an option. 

I don't think they'll touch ethanol for two years.  If the grain markets haven't collapsed, ethanol support is in trouble.  But then again, two  years is a really long time. 

0 Kudos
marketeye
Senior Contributor

Just curious, how close to $6 has it gotten?

Mike

0 Kudos
kinderb
Contributor

Mike,

Seems like some are setting on their hands, and some are making 2011 sales like myself. Work in St. Louis, MO and the I-70 interstate seems to be carrying a lot of grain to the river terminals. More than in Dec. Haven't been down town to see if there are any lines, but hopper bottom traffic is heavy. I know some of this grain was sold via contracts last summer\fall, but could this have affect on the market not taking off too high because of farmer delivery or because it was already contracted it won't affect the market. Basis have gotten wider here because of delivery, I am assuming.

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

$6.25/bu at the SIRE ethanol plant.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Senior Contributor

kinderb,

Working from a remote office today, in central Illinois. Outside of my window, there is a county highway that leads to a grain elevator. Let me tell you, all day long there has been a grain semi going by every 10 minutes or so. A lot of traffic of grain today. I have no idea if these are pre-sold deliveries or new sales. I'm just saying that I'm seeing physical grain movement.

Mike

0 Kudos
oncearound
Veteran Contributor

i really take offense, as should any self respecting farmer whom has taken the time, spent the money...etc to have as good of a handle on the market today as possible when someone refers to having grain on hand today as some form of  "greed"!!!!!!!!!

the market offers a range of prices, shouldn't a farmer try to harvest as much of the top end of the range as possible? if a farmer has a bumper crop of corn, say 230bpa+ , does he not try to harvest every last kernel or is that too assumed as being overcome with "greed"?????

the farmer does not set the market price, therefore he should strive to receive every last cent of revenue the market should offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stereotyping  those farmers whom capture the highest market prices as "greedy".....is bad policy for an "Agriculture" related business

deerguy
Contributor

I only raised two thirds of a crop sold sold about 45% of that on the way up.  Now I'm waiting for a home run on the rest. no soybeans this year.  I have about 20% of o9 corn left.  I will sell if it starts to smell.  I do not feel that I'm greedy, I've sold plenty of cheap grain before and hogs also now it's my turn to live the good times.

0 Kudos