cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GAW46
Contributor

Re: From the floor June 23

I don't understand what a plant population of 502 vs 300 and something and an increase of 144% on corn population means, as per the 1st of Marketeye comments for today

Sorry for the messed up post. I need to work on that, a bit

0 Kudos
GAW46
Contributor

Sorry, did not see somebody else asked the same question

0 Kudos
aaron4020
Frequent Contributor

If they only have a population of 502 plants per acre then I've just become a raging bull! Regardless of the actual number, I don't see how the population would have jumped 144% from last year or why it would be lower than 2008's. Must be something taken out of context or misinterpreted.

Aaron

Also: Plant height is meaningless for both corn and soybeans. When I've had to replant corn in past years that corn was always the tallest and then yielded far less. Big, tall, bushy beans are always a yield disappointment as well. Californians apparently shouldn't be doing Midwest crop tours.

dapper7
Senior Contributor

4020, apparently an acre is different in california. commonly referred to as a lot where you would build a small house close to other small houses. ps good thing we missed the big dumps in the area. my buddy in maurice got 4", around craig almost 6"d7

0 Kudos
SouthWestOhio
Senior Contributor

Yeah dap I've seen those CA lots and 300 would be a great population. Glad you missed the monsoon.
0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

4020, just so I understand, are you saying that a 502 plant pop is not very big? Do you not believe the crop tour findings? The person heading up the tour is from California. However, he has been on Midwest crop tours for the past 10 years. I've personally been on 5 years of Midwest crop tours with this man. I'm not sticking up for his tour, but I'm curious what aspect of the data that you don't agree with.

Mike

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Dapper7,

I will have more information on that tour data this week. What is your plant pop? I'm curious to find out what is normal, what is high, what is low. I'm simply putting out the information I'm being told. Let's hear what others have to say.

Mike

0 Kudos
frankne
Veteran Contributor

Most people are pushing 30,000 35,500 on the good ground in the i states.I have no idea what that 502 unless its so many plants per feet of row then you have to know the row spacing.

0 Kudos
dapper7
Senior Contributor

mike, i planted 36 k this year in nw iowa. what i dont understand is the 3 digit scores as reported. it obviously is not plants per acre but some other metric unkown to me at this time. please explain. just saying its more than last year but less than 08 doesnt tell me much. and when was the survey taken? alot has happened in many areas since june 1st.  mike, i am not discounting your report but just trying to understand the context. thanks for what you do.d7

0 Kudos
dapper7
Senior Contributor

frank, wouldnt a more important # be the feet of row? regardless of row spacing? still trying to wrap my tiny head around the concept. d7

0 Kudos