cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaron4020
Frequent Contributor

Re: From the floor June 23

Mike, If you drove by a field of corn with a plant population of 502 plants per acre it would basically look like a bare field. You would see mostly dirt with the occasional corn plant.  Do you have a link to this crop tour's report? The plant population of 502 doesn't make any sense to me. Most farmers in my area are planting around 34,000 - 36,000 per acre. I can't figure out what the 502 would refer to. And, I can't believe that the average farm increased population to 144% of last years either. If we up planting rates by 10% in one year that is generally a pretty big jump. The average increasing by almost 50% just isn't realistic. And, why would we be at only 78% of 2008's population? I don't mean to attack the man, I don't know anything about him. The data being presented must have been screwed up somewhere along the line or it is reperesenting something other than plants per acre.

Also, to expand on the plant height. A meaningful measurement of crop progress is to record the stage of growth, In corn the general standard for this is to count the number of fully developed leaves or leaf collars. Different hybrids and different growing conditions can result in plants with greatly different overall heights while being at the same stage of maturity.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I'll be interested to see your explanation of the numbers.  502 could be kernels per ear.  641 would be pretty high and 347 would be way low.  So that is probably not the answer.

0 Kudos
Mark, ncIA
Frequent Contributor

My guess is 250' of row.  144% increase in pops leads me to believe many farmers were so excited to get into the field this spring they forgot to change the discs and sprockets from '09's soybean planting, lol.

That said, my take on their crop tour's accuracy would be probably comparible to me and Frank, in his Suburban with a cooler of Bud Light & pork chops, taking a cotton market tour of the SJV.  You'd all be confused with our report too, esp. if you had some knowledge of cotton; but, we'd have an opinion & data, no doubt.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

The fact that marketeye doesn't know the average plant population for corn is enlightening. As well as the fact that a 144% increase is just bizarre and clearly a calculation error of some kind.

Plant pops in IN would be up slightly in corn and down a bunch in soybeans. Too wet to long does not do a bean good.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

For the record, I do know that plant populations run between 28-38,000. They vary quite a bit. Having said that, I have reported the results of this crop tour incorrectly. My fault, I admit. Now, before I say anything else on this, I'm trying to gather the formula used to transfer the 502 number to an actual plant population figure. I'm clearly wrong.

With this post, you know, I think we cleared one thing. It was believed that many folks were having a hard time getting use to this new talk format. Well, when you post something that is obviously wrong, that's one way to find out you guys (gals) have made the transition from the old format to the new. That's good to see.

In all seriousness, I do apologize for screwing up this crop tour info. I will get it right and I will post the clarification TODAY.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Mike good post  Everyone has an opinion when yours is wrong. JR

0 Kudos
frankne
Veteran Contributor

You had to bring that up, almost a year now.I have not heard from our  guide that day suppose he got banned from here.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Frank theirs strill state troopers out here lookin for your SUV .  I think you should paint parts express on the side of that hot rod SUV. Smiley Very HappyJR

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

dapper7, since you were the first to ask me to explain the "502" plant population number, here is the answer.  

CORRECTION: The crop tour I referred to Wednesday came up with an average  plant population for Iowa, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio of 29,850 (Not 502). This is 661 plants higher than USDA’s 2009 estimate of 29,189. The 502 number I used in my first posting of this crop tour’s results represents the increase in plants vs. this tour a year ago. That 502 is not the total plant pop., it’s the difference between this year’s tour and last year.

This year’s tour average is 144% higher than the tour’s 347-plant increase from last year.

To put all of these numbers in perspective, in 1994 the USDA estimated U.S. corn plant populations at 23,388. So, farmers keep ratcheting up plant pop’s. And the author of this crop tour says that seed companies tell farmers they can plant 32-33-34,000 populations. So, there is a long way to go. In fact, he found a field in Fayette Co., Iowa that measured 41,000 plants.

The methodology used to measure plant populations includes counting 30-feet of a row. Plants on both sides of that row are counted and the total is extrapolated out to a per acre basis. In other words,  you use the number that represents how many feet are in an acre to find that final plant population estimate. This method to figure plant populations is used by USDA and other crop tours.

Finally,  the author of this crop tour tells me this information doesn’t really mean much, other than to show that the potential for a big crop is there. He says, we know the plant count, and next week we will have an acreage estimate. The only thing left is ear weight and we still don’t know that.  He says there is a triangle of very wet fields in western Illinois that the market hasn’t accounted for. And since his crop tour, there are even more wet spots the markets have not realized.

I hope this clarifies my error and I do apologize for any misunderstanding.

Mike

0 Kudos
dapper7
Senior Contributor

now that makes sense! thanks mike. d7

0 Kudos