cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmersaw
Frequent Contributor

Re: From the floor March 14

I agree on the overall situation in Japan...  lot's of hard work and further tragedy is still in front of that country...  very sad.

Regarding nuke situation, I guess I'm like another poster in another forum in thinking that if anything, this should be a highlight of how safe nuclear power really is.  I'm amazed at the severity of the situation and how these power plants can withstand it all and prove in the end to be of relatively little danger to the general public.

Is there 0% risk?  No, but very close.

0 Kudos
old man
Senior Contributor

Maybe my age has made me skeptical. but I don't believe everything that I read or hear.

We are often told just what the writers wants to believe.

Remember the "WDM (weapons of mass destruction)" preceding going into Iraq

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Japan to ratchet up imports ....

...... to build supplies and make sure there is plenty of food in the aftermath of this disaster.

0 Kudos
vaultpod
Veteran Reader

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

A friend of mine from way back when works in a nuclear facility.  He claims that even in the event of a full 'meltdown', all plants with modern safety features (Chernobyl was NOT one of them), the danger of leaking deadly levels of radioactivity are almost nonexistant.  However, he pointed out that while the radiation will be contained, a full meltdown would damage the plant so severely that it would never operate again.  If I understood him right, the containment vessel would just be sealed off, until the radiation levels went down on their own, which I think was a couple hundred years or more.

I seldom reply to any post, but this one I feel it's my duty to tell everyone what I know. According to a top expert in this field, full meltdown will reshape nuclear materials and it may or may not reach to the critical point to start the chain reaction without restraining from control rod. That's said, there is a real chance to the nuclear explosion. 

I hope he is wrong.

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

What is the source for the China corn info??

0 Kudos
stupid
Contributor

US Ag attach`e reported this on friday

0 Kudos
JohnQ
Frequent Contributor

@farmersaw wrote:

John Q...   care to make a friendly wager on the situation?  Smiley Happy

No, not at all. I hope you're right. I still don't think the media is overhyping it at all and still believe the severity of the ENTIRE picture is, at best, unknown. Earlier reports had the nuclear facilties pretty much "okay" although 7 were offline. Things have done nothing but get worse since then unless you believe the explosions are a hoax and pupming in seawater for cooling isn't the biggest "Hail Mary" I've ever seen.

Like I said, no bet. I'd hate to be a "winner".

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

The guys that are doing the pumping and trying to prevent a disaster must be some of the bravest men around..

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

It is more than disturbing that .........

..... discussions in Japan are now allowing that there may be two full melt downs occurring and no way to guage damage to containment vessels, reportedly a full 6" of SS. I think it also a reliable conclusion that no nuclear explosion is possible because critical mass of material in a small area cannot physically occur. That is a precision operation that can only happen in man made systems powered by extremely finely manufactured pieces of materials powered by very precise explosion powered devices.

That said, a hole in a containment vessel close to the ocean is theoretically unbelieveably treacherous. I live in a state where the most expensive civil project in history is trying to recover and stabilize the highly radioactive materials at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in the state of Washington. Yeah, I know you've never heard of it, but it has been said that unnattended the liquid flow underground was poisonous enough to take care of all life on the planet if it reached the Columbia. 40 years of work and they aren't even close to being done.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Japan May Boost Grain Imports After Quake, StanChart’s Ofon Says

By Luzi Ann Javier
    March 13 (Bloomberg) -- Japan, the biggest corn buyer, may
increase grain imports to guarantee food supplies after the
nation’s strongest earthquake on record and a tsunami devastated
the northeast coastal region, said Standard Chartered Plc.
    “For corn, it’s a bullish event,” said Abah Ofon, a
Singapore-based analyst, in a phone interview today. Signs of
increased demand may bolster grain prices, he said.
    Corn, wheat, soybean and rice futures tumbled on Friday
after Japan was struck by a 8.9-magnitude temblor and a tsunami
engulfed towns on the northern coast. The government was
checking ports and grain depots for damage, the Ministry of
Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries said on March 11. Farmland
was flooded with burning debris in some areas as the tidal surge
swept inland, images from state broadcaster NHK showed.
    “It’s just an additional uncertainty in an already
uncertain market,” said Abdolreza Abbassian, a senior economist
at the Rome-based United Nations Food & Agriculture Organization.
“The question is not so much supplies, but distribution,” he
said in a phone interview today.
    The country was also grappling with its worst nuclear
accident in at least 33 years at a plant north of Tokyo damaged
by the temblor as local media said the death toll may top 10,000.
    Radiation levels around the Tokyo Electric Power Co.
station in Fukushima, 135 miles north of the capital, rose after
cooling systems at a second reactor failed, heightening concerns
about a possible meltdown following an explosion yesterday.
Water levels fell at a third reactor, raising the possibility of
a hydrogen explosion, Japan’s top government spokesman said.

0 Kudos