cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Re: It is more than disturbing that .........

More bad news as the nuclear conversation in Japan is taking a definite turn to the 'VERY bad' as it appears the vents in one reactor vessel that allows water to be pumped in to cover the fuel rods aren't working, making it impossible to pump the water level up. The possibility the containment vessel could explode is now real. This is a grim outcome.

0 Kudos
sonoma72
Veteran Contributor

I agree with your assessment of the situation.  For the local people, whom is going to want to "return," especially if there is any mistrust of the government's updates.   I certainly wouldn't want to have radiation poisoning.   Not certain how to phrase this, but I would suppose the  japanese would be a little more leary of radiation than the rest of us.  As for those talking about trade and whatever, would you go over there on a ship and dock, not knowing what lies beneath.  I am no volcanologist or earthquake expert, but  I recall from Geography in college that given the recent quakes around the pacific rim, this might indicate more is coming.    

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

No different here in regards to quakes. Maybe fequency. The PNW is one of the areas that has a history of the 'Big One' (bigger than Japan's) as evidenced in geological history. Since we don't know when it will come we don't think much about it. We did have a discussion out here on reconstructing one of the avenues into Seattle from the south. The current viaduct is known to be a hazard, so consideration was given to boring under the ground that will liquify during a big quake. Last I heard they are going above ground.

Luck of the draw. Japan was very well equipped and yet three independent safety systems have failed in their nuclear plants.

0 Kudos
farmersaw
Frequent Contributor

Re: From the floor March 14

Not sure where you are getting your info, but I still see no evidence that a disaster is forthcoming.

0 Kudos
Artifice
Senior Contributor

Re: From the floor March 14

plenty of food?

why will the Japanese eat more or less than any onther time.

Missing KEY is many markets are in spec bubbles.

Forget S&D    ,  unwinding espec excess may dominate.

Cudre id down 2 over night.

Artifice

0 Kudos