cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: From the parlor pit 12-29

ON a side note Gored... I don't know if you own pasture or not.   I frequent a wine store in Omaha, called the Omaha Wine Co.,  in 2000 they were the largest seller of cabernet in the U.S.  Maybe this is true, maybe not, but the owner, John, can be very persuasive.  Anyhow, John/Omaha Wine Co., told me a year ago about his budy at Morgan Ranch, in Burwell Nebraska and his Wagyu beef.  You should check out the website, and then proceed to passout at the prices.  This Morgan Ranch alligned themselves with a Japanese Kobe beef guy on a trip to Argentinian Wine country.  They brought over a Kobe bull and now raise the cross ( this is the long story short, with errors Smiley Happy.   My point is,   here is a guy in good ole Nebraska, whom has cut out a niche market for himself at a ludicrous profit, and other guys better follow suit.  My brother had some a month ago at a party in Omaha, said it was "unreal good."   I was going to order some filet for Christmas Eve, but at $150 lb., I backed out.  Here is their website, www.morganranchinc.com

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Some random thoughts on " Food Inc."

Some things I noticed were that the movie seemed quite a bit more negative toward large meat producing companys(smithfield,tysons,etc.) and packers ,Monsanto,and Gov,t. Policy on Subsidies, less negative toward grain producers,(though corn was really a killer), & independent meat producers. Some Ideas seemed a bit dated, such as, grain subsidies causing us to over supply the corn market and therefore make it cheap enough to be used in everything. I know this was a problem a couple years before the movie was produced. Also had some questions about corn used for cattle feed causes more e coli. It looks like I need to study some of these issues quite a bit more though.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Some random thoughts on " Food Inc."

Triplecat,

I watched the movie a year ago.  What I thought initially was, is that it?  Is that all you have?   I have seen worse, but this isn't the LIncoln/ Douglas debate.  what  you have to realize is,  who is the  "audience" and what is their view, so apparently that is all it takes.   And that is the point, convincing farmers of something is one thing, convincing the public is something entirely different.  IMO, the ag lobbies are inept and out to lunch, they try to convince us, of what they are doing, no no no, we are NOT the target audience, the public is.   When I see Hunt's ketchup all over with No HFCS on the label, and then hear the corn board advertising, sugar is sugar(to laugh or to cry that is the question), well gee who won on that one.  Two years late again.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Good Point.

What seems to happen is you go along and seems you get no bad vibes against farmers, Probably grain farmers like myself would be targeted after livestock producers, and fruit & vegetable growers, as  we are usually one step further from the consumer  . BUT all at once consumers no longer look at us as diversified, subsistence farmers, barely making a living of off the land. The overalls, pitchfork, family orientated, ideas are replaced by what ? That is where we need to educate ourselves on what we want to portray ourselves to our customers, and learn to understand what they are really looking for. One point that keeps coming to mind as I study this Idea of Non GMO healthy foods, is that we seem to get the message that Americans want healthy, Non GMO ,possibly organic food, and they want   to know where it comes from, and want it produced in an  environmentally friendly way,with concern for the animals welfare, all good points but not cheap.  But America needs the exports to other countries , and seem to have this grandiose idea of feeding the world with cheap food, So in short we have a gap between American consumer needs and ideas, and reducing world hunger. Maybe rather than bridge the gap, we need to determine which market we as an individual producer are producing for. Just some thoughts. Would like to hear some more ideas.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Sonoma, I take offense with your wide brush approach to the "ag lobbies". I can't help that YOUR state board had not seen Food Inc. but don't assume that I or my fellow board members have not seen it and discussed at length. It was an agenda item at our board meeting when it first came out in theaters.

Tell me what issues should we be focused on today that will be in our face two years from now. You seem to know. Tell me now so we can please you. You see, it's a catch 22 for guys like you. If we don't respond to a Hunt's ketchup type of situation you will blame us for doing nothing. But when we do respond it is always too little too late.

The ag groups will never please everyone. You claim we are "inept and out to lunch" but your buddy GoredHusker seems to think we have done way too much for ethanol. Maybe you two should quit complaining and volunteer your time to your board so everything is done perfectly.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

First of all, it wasn't just MY board, I am not going to say exactly of whom I refer to.   Secondly, I have been to the meetings and what not, they are a beurocratic nightmare.  I don't care if it is the grain board or the local irrigation district.  Sorry you are offended, as we all know this is just MY opinion, so it really means nothing.   Lets reevaluate this whole thing in 2-3 years and see where we are at.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think you're right about a lot of things.  It's separate and then conquer.  We have all these groups with an agenda bickering and fighting one another all within the production agriculture occupation.  Locally, the big fight brewing is between upland irrigators and close to the river irrigators.  We're also seeing farmers from different states being pitted against one another (Nebraska vs. Kansas).  What's even more interesting is how the counties out here in the west pit livestock guys against one another.  It's basically pretty easy to be zoned in to start a cattle feedlot.  However, it's next to impossible to be zoned in for either a dairy or a hog confinement unit.  The alfalfa farmers hate ethanol and bicker back and forth.  I know of a few guys who absolutely refuse to sell any corn that might go towards ethanol.  Eventually, all of these inter battles will be what demolishes the industry.  I think we'll eventually see vertical integration in row crop farming just like we've seen in the dairy, hog, and poultry industries. 

I learned something yesterday that I'm almost ashamed to admit learning.  I didn't realize that the hamburgers we buy at the likes of McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. aren't really made from hamburger.  Rather, they are made from scrap meat that come from highly contaminated places.  In order to kill all the contamination, the meat is exposed or treated with ammonia to sterilize it.  Maybe this doesn't bother anyone else, but I think I'll order a salad the next time I'm eating at a fast food chain.  A wise man once told me that while we'll have skirmishes over oil, we'll have civil wars over water.  As time goes by, I think about this a little more each day. 

0 Kudos