cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: From the parlor pit 7-13

The only chance that a smaller farmer has with livestock is some sort of niche marketing.  Livestock is "supposed" to be raised in thousands of head under roof, sold before they`re born, every aspect of their production specialized for maximum efficiency.  But mention those niche markets available to a small farmer and just watch the frothing at the mouth and throwing furniture around by their larger fellow farmers.  The big outfits never go broke, they only get bought out by bigger outfits.  The cow/calf  and cash grain farms are the last to hang on to independence, but that`s changing rapidly too.  If there`s some temporary shortage the small commercial livestock guy might have a few good months, but those times are getting fewer.  Sad?  Youbetcha.  

0 Kudos
Advisor

JR , do you think us "crop guys" were planning for it to not rain over 80% of the US. Were we planning to have corn ,soybean meal,  and alfalfa increase so much as to put you in the red? Was corn not just under $5 a short 6 weeks ago??? Are you blaming the misfortunes of many on for the lack of profitability in dairy?? Many "crop guys" are going to get a goodly portion of their income from crop insurance and not from "sticking it to the enduser". Yeah, you called it, you caught us, we all really wanted to gouge the heck outta every enduser.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

JR - I understand the frustration that is obvious in your posts, but I do take issue with your snide remarks aimed at the "croppers" my best friend is a diaryman & we have trouble sometimes talking about farming for these same reasons. Last I knew "croppers" had little to nothing to do in setting grain prices. Should I out of some kind of nobility or something stand up & say I don't care that I can get 7+ for my corn it's not fair to the livestock guys so I will sell it for $5 to the first livestock operation that wants it. At some point in your career milk must have paid decent, did you offer to take less because you didn't feel right getting that much for it ?

C'MON Man re-aim your frustrations

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yeah, He never said thank you for all the time we sold corn for far less. He should appreciate that most of us are trying to produce more than we can. I suppose he is mad because we sold the corn he didn't want to ethanol plants. Now that crop prices are a bit higher, he wants us to choke off supply to the ethanol guys.

I know when I was in the hog business we selected replacement gilts partially based on the number of teets they had. I wonder why they don't do that with cows. They could just as well have 6 or 8 teets per cow producing milk.

A smart dairy man would do that.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kraft, now that is funny.  I would take off those extra's when the calf was little. Did you ever hear " More for Less"  Less teats and more milk.

To the parlor pit:   Dairyman are not culling yet.  http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sj_ls714.txt   I believe they will.  Also,  Your corn is low priced in comparison to Rolled corn in Ca.  $328 per ton. Somehow you will make it. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Busy chopping hay right now guys. I will try to respond before to much longer. 

BUt just so You know I do not blame anybody on here for the situation that is at hand. (altho I do think Ida had something to do with the lack of rainSmiley Wink)

The last line was more over the post lower that seemed to have frustration because USDA cut feed usage. I mean what did you think? We would just keep feeding at a loss?

I have said for two years we need to get Dairy cow numbers down to 8.5 million cows.That is gonna mean lots less corn.

I just think that as we go forward this is gonna be bad for us all.   Don;t anybody think I do not want you to have success or good fortune. Just wish we could all share!  ANd I know that just never happens.

The funny thing is that from all the posts about how Corn was cheap and it was subsidized for all those years and that benefited livestock farmers,

Then why did so many of you guys get out of livestock and grow cheap grain? Wouldn't you have been better served to have stayed in the lucrative livestock business?

Have a good day, Eat some icecream for me.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

We couldn't afford a parlor and too old to squat to put on the milkers. You got those young boys to do that for you.

0 Kudos