cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hedgefundfarmer
Contributor

From what i am hearing several of the boys in my neck of the neighborhood

Have made absolute killing shorting this corn and bean market. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sneeky253
Frequent Contributor

Re: From what i am hearing several of the boys in my neck of the neighborhood

best story ever.........

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

So what`s the plan next year, short $2.50 corn?   My main man David Kruse says El Nino is offically here and you never have below trend when that`s in effect.  So, we could have another big crop in 2015.  It`s not stellar around here, this year that`s for sure.

0 Kudos
Doug N
Veteran Contributor

I'm trying to follow along here, but are you saying that people that shorted the market from higher prices made money in a falling market?  I'm glad you came along to clarify that. Doh Kay.

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Yeah, pretty soon he will come back on and announce that he has discovered that water is wet.

You can tell somebody went to college.

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Hopefully some folks that  harvested the profits are farmers. I often wondered if neighbors could join together to analyze the markets whether they could benefit from each others opinions or with it would merely become a peeing match like this is here.

I assume there are folks that could provide strategies to deal with market varibilities. However, how would we ever recognize them when everybody is discredited from the git go.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

If one sold the board at $4.50 corn and didn't Texas hedge the cash, then "making a killing" means not selling below the cost of production.  It's hard to get rich by making money on one hand while losing the same amount on the other.  It's called standing still.

Granted, it is better than losing the money, but it is hardly "making a killing".

Does anyone see opportunites to sell short so as to lock in a profitable price for 2015?  I confess I sold some beans and what is going to be a very challenging cost of production.  I'm doing it because I'm afraid beans will go even lower.  Heck of a way to make a living.