cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Frosted Corn?

About a week ago, there were some pictures on here of corn that got a little too cold.  I was just wondering what that corn looked like today?

According to the USDA, they are expecting that corn to be in the pipeline by September to allieviate the short supply.  Was just curious on how that strategy was working out?

FWIW, It is very dry and quite cool here in NW Ohio.  The corn that has been planted here is taking it's time coming out of the ground.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Frosted Corn?

Anybody still planting over your way RT? We have all quit over here. Most all the corn is in but I have yet to see a field emerged. Nobody really planting beans as there is no moisture left.  What a difference a year makes.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

EC-IL. First 100 acres planted has been dinged the past couple nights. 2-3 inches tall. Snarled plants every 6 to 7th plant. Stuff didn't die and fall over but the cold weather has taken its toll. Looks like Sunday/Monday night may not be good either. Like u said tiger, later stuff is taking forever to emerge. Sure could use some heat
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Some guys are done planting corn, some are just starting .   Most guys worked their ground early to get the ruts leveled out and now there is very little moisture to bring up the corn.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

not all of the early planted corn has been devastated. Like most seasons, we really won't know the possible timing of harvest until much later in the year. The market will do what it can via strong basis and el cheapo moisture discounts to encourage harvest  in those areas trib to big processing assets.

Although Iowa was 9% planted on the Monday report, the SE crop district was at 26%, and fieldwork/planting has continued in at least half of that crop district as rainfall in southern half of SE crop district has been much lighter than rest of state in April.

I sure agree we could use some warm weather to encourage some of this corn that got hit with 2-4 inches of rain in the April 13-14 time period.

Ray J

0 Kudos