cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Funny smell!

There seems to be a funny smell in the air,markets seem choppy,dealersships are finaly all changed over to the faceless mentallity of the product dissapeearance only to satisfy the stock holder,and every one using ever thing possible to beat an potential good market.I guess everone that graduated in the last 25 years listening to the speakers and the powers that be tell them thay were going to go out and set the world on fire finnaly have it set on fire! Excuse me,just @#$% off!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Funny smell!

ray,

it wouldn't happen to smell like pig slop, would it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

No c-x-1,it smells like bs comming from an human race with no hands on experience!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@ray h. wrote:

No c-x-1,it smells like bs comming from an human race with no hands on experience!

Maybe just 'experiences'.

Read an article in a farm paper here the other day and the comment in it was lack of financial experience in tough times.

Writer quoted a farmer who did not make money last year as saying it was no problem his land was worth more and the bank was lending money based on his land value.

Last time I remember that method of financing farming habit was the late 1970ies.

You all know how that worked out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Canuk,

The most frustrating part of elevated age.  Watching the younger guys work through the learning process.  

So proud of them when they are learning stuff in a year -----that it took me several years.

The beauty of tough years ------------------ 

Experience is soooooooo valuable------------ and nearly impossible to pass on.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes some of the hard lessons we learned seem to be rejected by 'the young'.

Guess the best way to learn a lesson is to learn it the hard way yourself then if you survive you are better equipped for the next time.

I do remember 43 years ago when I was systematically tiling half the farm I had just bought a couple years before that some old timers told me i would never get my money out of all the expensive tile.

I was right and they were wrong only that was the only tiling I did that far apart.

Rest I put in was closer and I finally split the original first tiling last year.

So sometimes the 'old timers' do not know everything correctly but just stick to old habits.

I have a neighbour who came from another country 15-20 years ago and is 15 years younger than me and he has come to me for advise many times and seems to follow my suggestions most times.

One time in a wet spring he went ahead and planted a field when i had said it was not dry enough to work yet.

He has mentioned several times that he should have listened to me. My field planted next to his a couple days later showed him what too soon can do with our land.

He now uses my method to determine condition of the soil now and was showing me this spring how his field was just not quite ready to work.

That is when you feel that some do learn from your advise and his 24 year old son was there learning too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Canuk---- great thoughts.

It is always easy to remember what works for you and what doesn't.  What is difficult to remember is why.

Circumstances or technology change.  For me things that I categorize as "won't work"  or "waist of time" got in that category because I was short handed on labor or equipment and I have forgotten the details of the time.

0 Kudos