cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

GDD, maturity and yields

Apparently this is from the U of Illinois handbook.

* Nafziger, "In some recent work in Indiana and Ohio, researchers found that the GDD requirement for corn hybrids decreased when planting was later than May 1. For each day that planting was delayed after May 1, the reduction in GDD requirement was about 6.5 GDD; thus, a 2,700 GDD corn hybrid planted on May 20 would require only 2,700 – (20 x 6.5) = 2,570 GDD. While the actual decrease in GDD varied somewhat among years, the fact that there is an expected decrease indicates that changing to a shorter- season hybrid when planting is delayed should rarely be done. This decrease in GDD requirement, however, usually comes at the cost of decreased yield; planting on time is still an important goal."

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: GDD, maturity and yields

I've seen that study before in the Purdue ext handbook that the seed dealers handout at plot tours. In real world fields I've seen it come true corn that shouldn't being denting according to GDu's start the proceess earlier at the expense of test wieght and kernal depth also more tip back occurs earlier in the kernal development process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I observed this in 2011. Had 117 day corn. Didn't get planted till last week of may. Didnt have a great growing season after planting. Yield was much better than expected. And moisture was only a little higher than normal at harvest.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We've had a couple seasons where we ran short of GDDs towards the end of the season, and for the most part, you are right on.   The corn will still make a decent crop, but it may be light, and wet.   This can become a problem, if it rushes TOO much, as the light and wet corn, is a bear to get dried down, and can have trouble keeping in storage.   I've seen a lot of corn with a green tinge to it, a few years ago, when we had a cool summer, followed by an early frost.   Bought lots of propane, to get it dried down, and it still needed constant watching, as it seemed to want to get hot easily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The late planted N IA and MN et al corn means  lower yields, which is discounted  inprod expectations and  price, the  MKT's job.   The mkt doesn't trade an Egyptian  purchase of wheat but the composite supply demand equation .

Suppliers of needs, get paid, markets are moral, do good, earn, dream fake dreams, pay up.

Kerchink, CHI SRW comes down for 2 yrs, new lows again today. 

Objective producers have %s hedged and are harvesting wrongsided spec length. .

0 Kudos