cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Garden City, Iowa

I wouldn't have been able to stand it. I spent a lot of money building up that land. I didn't need one of the local dairy farmers sucking the ground dry, then having poor crops and try to sell it under those conditions. And I lost that farm in '81. I didn't want to live through that again.

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Yes, I know there is such a thing as a soil test, but I also know that down the road if it came to litigation, it would've been difficult to win.

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

OK - that was a long drive, I'm glad I'm safe and sound and in for the night here at the RV Park.  I have a double (yes - 6:45 am to midnight) tomorrow, and evening shifts the rest of the week.  At least that is what it was when I left on Thursday.  Our shifts are subject to change with short notice.

Great dialog on the site today, on numerous subjects.  It helped keep me energized.  So - how's the crop?  Like most years - some good - some bad.  From what I have seen in the WCB, it is not a record crop.  I said early this spring that IN was going to be in the golden spot once again.  Ken (ECIN) doesn't think it's as good as last year - and he was right on the money last year.  But last year for them was great.  Can they produce a comperable crop?  I haven't been through IL or even S WI since I helped my relation put in his crop.  He says it's looking real good - but needs rain.  I have no reason to disbelieve him.  We certainly have to be better in MN than last years disaster, but what I saw near Fargo leads me to beleive that we need a late frost to have the making at a good crop - and rain.  And nobody has said anything about Marylands huge crop yet (the equivalent of 1 or 2 IA counties - note - if you're new to the site, the Maryland references are from last year.  It's a long story, and one I don't want to repeat tonight - an inside joke that wasn't so funny last year).  From what I saw of NE the top is off the crop - KS, well off the top.  ND can't take an early freeze - neither can SD, or WI, or probably MI for that matter.  

I still think that overall, the beans suck.  And they will suck worse if we don't get the rain in August to fill out the crop.  Overall, I see very few fields canopied.  Now, I saw some great fields today, but in the same vacinity of these great fields were fields that were really poor.  I didn't have the luxury of a lot of time today - just more than usual on this trip.  I still think overall, SE MN has one of the best crops in the areas that I have toured, for consistancy, stand, and the overall general look of the crop.  But a lot of that needs time - and rain.  

So - where are we?  46, 48 bu beans across the US.  No.  42 maybe.  And that has a real wild card attached to it.  I haven't looked at the forecast yet - and I'm pretty tired so I don't know yet if I'll gat a chance tonight to put one out.   I need to settle in a bit from the drive.  It's sure quiet without my puppies, who stayed home this trip.

I need to think a bit more on the corn - but I'll try and post something more on that probably on Tuesday morning in my AM Weather Update.  I'm also going to copy  this over to Mikes JC Stone line.  It was a fun trip....

Jen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Jen. Are you talking Steele county in MN area when you refer to SE MN?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Yes, Minnesota River south and Blue Earth and Faribault counties and East.

Jen

0 Kudos