Veteran Advisor

Good old USDA

Could the USDA tell us when the cost of cereals and bakery good dropped from the high prices of a few years ago...hasn't reached the consumer yet.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-25/hold-the-bagel-higher-costs-make-2018-a-great-tim...

Who ever puts out this garbage at the USDA should be fired. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Good old USDA

Our society is beyond backwards. Mainstream media can and will spin it with an agenda every time and the sheep herd keeps growing by exponential bounds.
Senior Contributor

No words (💩)
Veteran Advisor

What alternative universe do you people live in?

Frequent Contributor

Jim, please elaborate.
Frequent Contributor

Have to admit, didn't read the article in its entirety. Made some assumptions based off the title the author was making it out as if the American farmer was rolling in money because of "high" wheat markets and what a travesty it was going to be for the consumer to have to pay .12 more cents for a bagel so by gosh we need to "curb our bagel, pizza, etc intake cause it will break us. My bad, I'm going to go order a pizza now.
Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

I think there is enough to be discouraged about in wheat country coming off of several years of gluten hysteria now it is a good time to cut carbs......??

The article is a clear presentation of why usda should not spend it's time forcasting the future.  A fantacy account of what could be if only....... pure speculation of fiction....based on maybe.

They should spend a little more time helping understaffed county offices get their paperwork done.  Way past deadline and nowhere near completing spring signup of acres.  Totally understaffed with a couple of temps

Go home with a producer print and spend a week doing corrections on 6 farms.   corn planted in may and turned in become wheat by the time you get the printout. etc etc

Excuse "not enough money in the budget".......... maybe they should stop writing articles for bloomberg on the job.

Honored Advisor

I can't make up my mind if it is all about job elevation or controlling the hysteria in the media.

But usda is obviously top heavy in personnel.  The answer is "We have no idea what food prices will do next year, but we can tell you what they did last year, so read our annual report we publish every year......... and write your own stories.

Fantacy is always easier than research... and usda hasn't got time to be involved in speculative computer modeling.