cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Goss's Wilt= next Black Swan event?

This could very well happen, if you ask me. It's area of infection is getting larger and larger and moving east, more and more into the core of the Corn Belt. Nothing can be applied either to stop or slow down the damage which can be 50% in loss. Typically doesn't rear its ugly head until August, but already showing up. All the moisture and humidity making it show up this early already?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Goss's Wilt= next Black Swan event?

Prime year for leaf disease.  Have been telling guys to put it on your radar this year.  Illinois is having weather like 1994.  Muggy days, foggy nights.  Any suceptable hybrid to GLS will show up fast this year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I think could be a combination of diseases - just not goss's - as arron said -- man oh man are we prime for diseases here in East  Central IN - foggy most mornings - dew points in the mid 70's , and these on and off showers every day of so - well I'll be dang - it's raining here again .

Not only for corn but beans also - a guy  stopped by the shop last week - Ken what is this , he asked --well that would   be frog eye leaf spot - I replied .

Would be wise to step up scouting now .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

good idea ECIN. i called the neighbor up and he said i could use his bass boat to scout my fields but i had to split the fish with him

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

yeah rawhide - I have ben watching the weather down your way -  been light rain here since 6 am - was GOING to spray beans today - but guess that dog won't hunt -- BTW looking at radar now - BIG batch of rain near Cincinnati  now .

Was thinking about comeing down your way - to Madison IN for the Ragotta - but that was even cancelled yesterday for high water on the Ohio !

Good luck fishing -- lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

a big wave swamped the motor. a snapping turtle grabbed my oar. and i'm outta beer

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We picked up 1.25" earlier today. Only the second time since April we have had over an inch in one day.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

SWO, how can you have corn look as good as you do with limited rain received? Are you sandbagging again?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Just a tenth here and 2 tenths there on a regular basis kept feeding this corn. But just in time rain like that makes my nervous. It feels good to have a little reserve.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I hope all this rain streaming up from the gulf didn't transport any rust up here.
0 Kudos