cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Got them knocked down...sorry, everybody

Man, that's what I get for trying to put the laptop in a dark corner for a while! I'm so sorry these spammer jerks took over here this evneing, everybody. I got them knocked down. I did, too, take down a few other posts drawing attention to them. Sorry about that. I just want to make sure we're keeping things all spam-free. I hope you all understand.

We're supposed to be seeing some new software launched overnight that will allegedly do a better job in IDing this junk and knocking it out so we don't have to do it manually. I'll let you all know when we find out whether it's working or not.

I sure am sorry, everybody. Just know that it's a real burr under my saddle, and I want nothing more than to see these guys sent packing once and for all. I'm working on this for you all, and I hope you all still feel comfortable knowing that we're doing the best we can. 

I really appreciate everybody sticking with us here. Next round's on me, everybody! 

Thanks again! Have a great night. See you all on here in the a.m.!

Jeff

8 Replies
4wd
Senior Contributor

Re: Got them knocked down...sorry, everybody

Thanks Jeff for peeking in tonight and cleaning up the place. C-X and sw were getting tired. You should leave a number for emergencies!

0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Hey, CX and SW are easy...it's the return of JR that worries me most! Ha!

Hey, great to see you back in action, JR. Hope you're feelin' better. Are those ol' gals milkin' themselves?!

Again, everybody, thanks for bearing with us. I hope you will continue hanging in with us. Like I said, you won't find somebody more stubborn and determined to knock out these spammer jokers than yours truly, and though we're falling down on the job once in a while, I won't rest until we get them booted for good. 

c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Jeff,

we all appreciate your effort here!

can you at least give us a hint, if u found one, if some or all of the spamming was a targeted deal?

......or is it against fcc regs to be able to say if you triangulated any particular IP area's?

i know i'm not the only one curious. thanks.

c-x-1

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

"sw and cx are easy."  -- that's a pretty good one, Jeff  Smiley Very Happy

Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

We were advised to try an "IP range ban" for a few wide swaths of territory around the world. only problem is a lot of these spam bots use either mobile or otherwise dynamic IP addresses, so it's like chasing a ghost. It's something more of an art than a science for a simpleton like me! But, we are getting a major update to the system, it sounds like. stay tuned!

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Jeez I got booted! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Just was having some fun with the spambots. Thanks for the good work!
0 Kudos
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Hey, JR, great to have you back on the grid here! How's life up in your neck of the woods?

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Been sick all week with influenza A nasty stuff. Kinda cold but 20 days till spring
0 Kudos