cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Grab you ankles again!!!!

This sounds promising...............

http://www.theland.com.au/news/agriculture/agribusiness/general-news/monsanto-syngenta-in-megamerger...

Surely it wouldn't be allowed.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Relax, bend over, What

do You care?

this been going to happen ( and IS going to ) for years.

good luck croppie.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Do I care? Interesting question. I guess as I grow a bit older my views are changing. When I was younger I was a big believer in the free market. As time goes on I have really start thinking that this whole free market thing has some pretty big holes in it. I am not sure where the balance is, but I really do think that these big companies already have too much power and it scares me to think what will happen in agriculture in the future. Companies charge what the market will bare, there is no real problem with this when there is competition. As competition dwindles then the market will bare higher costs simply because it has no choice. 

Honored Advisor

All my life I have wondered if the time would ever come when production would actually drop by say 30% or more in response to market incentives.... Maybe we are getting closer...

But then I also thought labor would learn that more dollars per hour just means less hours, but they never did...

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: Grab you ankles again!!!!

Some day I Belive that we will be like the poultry industry.  You will own the land or have lease's for it but you will work for Monsanto, Duponte, Sygenta, and so on.  They will drop off the seed chemicales and fertilizer and tell you where to deliver the final product at.  All for a % of the gross.  And you better not b*tch to much or you just simply won't get any inputs and you will starve to death and fold up.  Sounds like dooms day I know but I think it will happen in my life time.  This merger is just another nail in OUR coffin.

Senior Advisor

I never thought more $ per hour meant less hours. As an argument for slave labor perhaps. That's the logical extension of that argument. Beyond that, since wages have stagnated or decline in real terms I can't say it's helped the economy. Why would it? It's sort of a nonsensical argument. We get to heaven becomes based on slave labor and subsidies for farmers??

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: The Midwest folks could

perhaps learn some things:

crops like squash and pumpkins are Great Crops....all evolved in America.

crops like what we call "wash corn" in the SW yield 80 to 820 bu per acre ( generally 160 to 475 bu per ).

it depends on the year and that is NOT yellow dent corn, btw.

best reason to grow wash corn ( other than grinding for cornmeal....human use ) is because those stalks winter sheep and goats.

EASY and Completely.

cows have to pick the high desert, forbes, sage, yucca etc..

put a touch of salt on the yucca and cows clean it right up, btw.

i kinda think the croppies out of the midwest perhaps have missed a few Obvious things.

( like maybe getting out of the cab and working the True Environment . LOL ) 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

But do you have to take it through to the extreme Pal? If you take anything to the extreme it usally doesn't work to well. We have a highly regulated wage system here in australia and have much higher wages here than the US. I have always found it interesting that the workers unions over here would demand higher and higher pay and conditions, then the government would end up having to give companies money to keep them in australia. As it turns out these companies are in the process of leaving and taking their jobs to countries with lower wage costs. End result is that these people in Australia no longer have a job. There has to be a balance, I just think the balance here has gone too far in favour of the worker. I think there is merit in that comment by sw.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Sneeky, the reason you have higher wages is probably because you have less illegals.  I'm guessing it's much easier to "sneak" (no pun intended) into the USA than it is Ausie.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Haha! definately harder to "sneak" in here shaggy. Have never thought of that though in terms of impact on wages. The minimum wage here is around $17/hr compared to yours being around $7/hr. Its then pretty simplistic to say that wages are higher here because of the government, but in reality you have to look at why the government sets the minimum wage where it is. having said that, most workers i was talking about before were on more than the minimum wage anyway. I no one thing for sure, i'm nowhere near smart enough to work any of this stuff out.

Back to the original article. Does talk of this sort of merger scare you guys over there? 

0 Kudos