cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Greetings from the seed corn capital of the world!

Screenshot_20220924-224215_Gallery~2.jpg

I took this picture of one of my loads earlier this week. I am/was working around Constantine, Michigan AKA the seed corn capital of the world. Roughly 20% of corn seed used by U.S farmers comes from this area. So far I've put on around 6,000 miles over the past 2 and a half weeks with 14 loads in the books. Everything I'm hauling goes to Rushville, Indiana for processing. Harvest has moved at a rather quick pace, but rain may slow things down this week. 

On the production side of things. Combines are stirring lots of dust in Central Indiana. That area missed the rain this year. Further north toward Michigan the crops are still a week or two from harvest. 

Be safe everyone! 

5 Replies
erikjohnson61y
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Greetings from the seed corn capital of the world!

Here is a corn harvest update from my friend down in Texas.

9012.jpg

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Greetings from the seed corn capital of the world!

And he still can't find his way out...

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: 6000 miles, 14 loads, 428 miles per load?

428 miles per load equals 214 miles one way,  $2 per mile, 428 miles, $856 per load. How many tons per load?    No wonder seed corn is so expensive.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

where u getting semis hauling for $2 mi?

Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Rick, with fuel costing me roughly $1 a mile I won't turn the keys for $2 a mile. These runs are in a range between $1,100-$1,600 a load depending on the field location. Rates paid are up 20% year over year. Most seed companies are still short on trucks from what I am hearing.