Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN

Jiggity jog.

Been to the pan handle of Oklahoma and back. Lots to see 

Crossed over the Missouri river at Nebraska city this morning... up several feet since wed. Right at flood stage now, just creeping out of it's banks there, MUDDY, and lots of debris in it.

Se Nebraska has the tallest corn we saw. Some shoulder high. 

Maybe more later , going canoeing

23 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN

Well we saw the whole gambit of crops on the grand tour of things SW of here. 

Sw Iowa is the garden spot except for that bad streak of a couple of weeks ago.

Se Nebraska has the tallest corn but only by a few Inches over some in the sw Iowa a r ea.

The northern row of counties from the east to the west to Smith Center Kansas could not look finer in the corn and bean dept.

Wheat is excellent to Belleville, Kansas.

Western Kansas is very short on decent wheat. Going to be and did see recreational combine driving. Not sure one we saw was even going to get close to his seed back  south of Garden city, but he was out there and it looked better after he leveled the field to four inch stubble.

Saw wheat from nothing to thirty bu (yes stopped and talked go the farmer ) very very, very little dry land wheat is over twenty bu in west central to the pan handle of Oklahoma.

Will say there is lots of combines running. Really unusual to have wheat combining start from Oklahoma to northern Kansas all at the same time.

The other thing going on was lots of planters running mostly Milo BUT beans in the mix too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

IMG_20140620_103147_934-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

IMG_20140619_114822_920-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Looks like a shelbourne in last pic. Even irrigated wheat has had a tough go here. Anymore there is so little raised for grain I sometimes wonder where the seed comes from.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

First picture is about fifteen miles south of Dodge City

Bottom one is in Garden City area.  All of these were running Shellies.

We saw everything from a round back Gleaner to the latest greatest models . Most were trying to get what was there, but we saw a few smear jobs just driving over it for insurance reasons I'm sure.

Friend standing in a field I cleared of heavy timber, first row crop ever , experimental = no fert just seed and weed control.

The soil averages about 12 feet deep of a soil type known as Nodaway silt. One of the world's best soils for row crop production. Only draw back is it is on river bottom and can flood. Will be the best producing land I have for the rest of my farming career.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

IMG_20140621_172037_165-1-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Still going to be literally millions of bu of wheat raised in Kansas this year BUT the western third of the state is going to only be a small fraction of the production of a decent year. Too many acres of sub 5 bu wheat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Must be upper 50% of Kansas ?? Drove to Buhler kan. Same trash as oklahoma!!! Variation poor to fair!! Heads only half full to dead!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Rained again here in West Central NE, heading your way.   Not a lot of moisture here, but it seems we are at the start of the rain, which gives us enough to get by easily, but as it moves East, it gains moisture.   Soil moisture here is excellent, with very little flooding, but I can't say that about the folks 100 miles East.   Toughest part is trying to get hay done, with .30-.50 of rain every day or two.

As to the height of corn, the tallest in my neighborhood, is a hair past knee high, and most of it, is not that tall.   Dryland fields have patches where it was too dry to sprout until rain came, so there is 3 inch tall corn in places, and a foot tall corn in others.  Irrigated corn looks very good, but is behind, and short.   Most, if not all those I know of with a pivot, ran at least a circle or two to get the crops started, but have been off now for a couple weeks due to adequate rain.

0 Kudos