Senior Advisor

Re: Good presentations hobby

I enjoy photos of whats going on in the farming world

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN

Side bar note:

The man standing in the corn field was raised on the farm he is standing on. It was his grandparents farm before his dad bought it.

He is smiling be cause his grandfather wanted it cleared and farmed as far back as the twenties.

His dad bought it in 44 would have to look at the abstract to see when his grandfather bought it. I bought it from his father in '02 when his dad was 92years young.

He had called us to see if we wanted to go canoe ing, the farm was in the route of the ride down river yesterday. We just landed the canoes on a sand bar and we walked into the edge of the field.

Kind of fitting we were wearing life jackets in Iowa yesterday considering all the rain and flooding going on in this state right now.we have been lucky so to speak at least up to now as we had about two feet of water under us yesterday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Good pics Hobby and excellent explanation as to what you've observed driving around the country.  I think you've got the description of the Kansas wheat condition down to a tee.  Sure wish I'd have known you were in the neighborhood, I would have extended the invitation to you and the Mrs. to visit one of the Shaggy farms.

Speaking of the Shellbourne heads, I was told one of my neighbors got one this year.  Haven't seen it and don't know if he bought it or is leasing it, but it would be an excellent year to try one.  The two fields of wheat I've harvested so far have absolutely 0 stubble left.  Looks like they were cut with a swather and not a combine.  How's one suppose to catch blowing snow with 1" tall stubble?  Just another way this on going drought continues to be a thorn in the side of many.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

It was a fast pass out and back. Main purpose was to deliver five totes of beans out to Hobby west. Was a little damp so decided to go "see it for myself". Of the droughty wheat deal. Maybe next time. Got two of the farms planted but too wet to continue on the rest.

I want to thank Bugeye, Bassett&co, and SW for putting up with me and helping educate me to the ways of the west on this trip

Bassett&co is burying the beans for me and got a Shelly for this year. Finally got a good look und e r the bonnet the other day.

From what I've seen the last few years they will become the norm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Welcome Hobby,

Thanks for the time with us ---- I know it cost you getting a few acres planted timely, but we appreciate your assistance. 

Had a neighbor tell me this morning the mid panhandle region where we watched combines rolling, had several fields making 20-25 where 15 was expected.  Poor half of the acres are just poor.  Moving north into ks dry land generally below 10.

Wind back yesterday but nice today with clouds building a chance tonight.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

left home again

Went to the high trestle bridge over the Des Moines river then on north into north central Iowa.

Was to the exact same place four Sunday s ago

at that time very low levels and no lake in sight

Today river 1/2 to 3/4 mile wide

IMG_20140622_151539_008-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: left home again

IMG_20140622_152035_141-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Clouds on the horizon on the way home

1. IMG_20140622_192411_229-1.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Came home and was greeted by the residents of our porch, the demacats thought it was time for their handout

IMG_20140622_211029_534-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Now back to crop and marketing stuff.

The crops in central Iowa are excellent, just a little behind, they have  a full tank of moisture to work with. 

My advice will to get your dryer fuel needs locked In soon. Fill your house tanks during the summer fill specials.

Looks to me that central Iowa needs a few more E plants. Only a September FREEZE will keep Iowa from the undisputed #1 spot in grain production. Going to be grain piles in Iowa this fall. Late middle of July will see lots of tassels emerge. Plenty of time on the calendar to make a crop.

0 Kudos