nwobcw
Advisor

Re: HOW IT REALLY IS

I would if I knew how
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I apologize up front for being the skunk at the garden party, but i`m just not that big of fan of GMOs.  Okay, GMOs "buy" you about 10 years if you`re lucky and then after that you are knocked back to square one.  We see it with weeds getting resistant and "old chemistry' needing to be mixed with it.  we see it with VT traits losing their effectiveness with rootworm.. The Heftys say "use both VT traits AND half or full rate of insecticide with it" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99FhiOYzNBI    

In my opinion the reason corn yields have went up is ...."yield monitors" in combines.  Which got farmers interested in farming by the square foot, they saw the need and bennefit for drainage tile and variable rate fertility.  I see now there will be "variable rate hybrid variety" planting, planters that that stick the drought tolerant seed on the high ground and the racehorse varieties in the low ground.  All this new technology in the hands of the common farmer makes all these yield increases possible.

As far as feeding the starving people of the world, it`s a disribution problem caused by communism.  We have huge carryovers, burdensome carryovers actually, but as long as there`s communism, you will always have starving people, it`s how they are kept under control.  

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

I did post it on facebook........

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

This was/is not purely about gmo' s 

Much of it was and some of it is "spot on".

The "anti gmo" crowd is also against diesel tractors and commercial fert.

I am tired of them jetting around the world telling us how bad it is.

Time for them to get and keep a horse and garden as their sole source of transportation and food.

I am not for anything goes that Monsatin, Dow, DuPont, etc can dream up either.

I am dead set against 24-D and Banvil beans, will just create super weeds sooner

already have them in western Kansas.

Hi

I occasionally plant corn on corn, I use Force insecticide instead of an organophosphate product.

Still very deadly to the target pests but at least it doesn't have some of the toxicity to warmblooded creatures.

Btw I'm NOT going to farm with horses and waste 1/3 of production of my farms just keeping my horse power alive.

I've got something on the back burner that is a thought piece, would love to start a commotion in front of several Whole Foods stores about a potentially dangerous and harmful ingredient and additive found in their products that they seem to be ok with. Has been the cause of many deaths and disfiguring events. Very corrosive and volatile product. Their organic milk, Orange juice, wine, and especially their bottled water has very high levels of this potentially lethal additive. Maybe more this weekend...

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Hobbyfarmer, maybe I'm naïve but to me these global warming nutjobs are a bigger danger to farming because they have coopted most of the scientific community. Even somewhat sensible people in the agricultural media don't dare buck the global warmers. That is a problem and the du Pont's and Monsanto's find ways to work with the global warmers, on GMOs it seems the corps can handle themselves.

But yeah the dicamba beans are another thing, if you're the one guy in the neighborhood without em, your beans will likely take a ride from all the drift. And weeds will work around 24D too one day and so much for that old chemistry.
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

BA, one is a subset of the other...one and the same ...

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Thanks Hobby - I am sharing it with everyone on my "Linked In" network.

along with this paraphrase of something in the video...

"The entire theory of evolution is based on genetic modification"

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

I shared it with the quote.  I have to say though, since we have a carryout every year the problem is not with production.

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

I don't think anti GMO crowd is against deisel engines and fertilizer. GMO's are special in that they are splicing genes from unrelated species and we do not know the long term hazards of that. I grow GMO crops and I sell them to market but i can understand those that would prefer to buy non GMO grains. Yes, I think they deserve to buy what they want. Ironically you would be hard pressed to find a pure acre of non GMO soybeans because those genetics have spread into field of people that specific tried to avoid GMO contamination.

What is particularly bad is monsanto gestapo finding traces of roundup ready genetic in ordinary soybeans. If they have the right to punish people for planting roundup  resistant soybean seed they we shopuld have the right to punish them if their RR crop contaminate ours. How are we supposed to produce genetic pure seed if they contaminate most of the bean field in america./

Where would you go to buy pure non GMO seedS?

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

"they" also have the right to grow their own food!

0 Kudos