cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Had lunch today at jason's deli

Wife and I di a late lunch at that pace. Aw wonderful turkey sandwich on a babel qith gua---- You know that green stuff made from avacados.

Anyway there was a card on the table about the companies effort to provide jealthy food products and they don't use preservatives or high fructose corn syrup. That got my attention because I didn't know that corn syrup was ahazardous producrt. Explain to me fellows why corn sugar is any worse than cane sugar or beet sugar. Has the sugar industry started a campaign against corn sugar products.? What will it do make you obese or kill you?

As far as I know sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from. Itls enough for me to swear off guac " green stuff"

0 Kudos
19 Replies
teaspoon73
Senior Contributor

Re: Had lunch today at jason's deli

Haven't you heard from the politically correct , anything made from corn is not good.. Their biggest hurdle is cane sugar is far more expnsive than corn syrup. Ah just a spoon full of sugar makes all their S--- go down your throat.

0 Kudos
aaron4020
Frequent Contributor

Just another marketing gimmick. Been going on for a year or more I think.
0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I would inform the owner of the deli of my displeaure of his shedding a negative light upon the industry of which you derive income to pay for your meals there.  If we don't stand up for ourselves no one else will.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I think there's been quite a bit of rancor between the traditional sweeteners..and HFCS manufacturers for a long time. They tried to work together..but at every turn..the traditional sweeteners were being replaced because of their cost. They were the ones who worked long and hard to keep the domestic price of sugar protected..so that they could continue to be viable industries...but the fructose manufactureres sort of came along for the ride. We could lower the price of sugar in the US today...but the beet and can sugar producers would have to close up shop, because the world price of sucrose is much lower. It's an interesting little story..of how the sugar producers have had a very effective lobby in Washington for a long time...and still have to defend the price protection every farm program..so that Coca Cola or Pepsico can make another .25 (that's a quarter of a cent) per can of soda. I don't quite know the difference in chemical make-up between the sugars...Sucrose and Fructose are different...but for some reason, the healthy eating folks have decided to pick on the fructose as being more likely to cause you to put on the pounds.

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

A lot of it has to do with perception.

I think some claim sugar from corn is not 'natural' because it is from a chemical process. 

They would then claim beet sugar is natural but when I saw them making sugar from beets it was in big vats that they were cooking and who knows what else they were doing to it. Did not look too 'natural' to me. There must be some kind of process to get sugar from cane too but I sometimes think the word 'natural' like 'organic' really means anything man thought of or did before xxx date.

I think if you do a search you will find studies that 'find' corn sweeteners have good impacts as well as bad on human health but nutritionists will tell you sugar in any form is 'empty calories' and there in lies the problem, with all sugars.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Kraft-t,

There is an interesting article in the WSJ this morning on the topic you raise. Chefs are convinced that HFCS is less healthy than sugar, but scientists say HFCS and sugar have the same impact on a person's health, according to the article. Plus, the American Medical Association even says there is not enough evidence to say HFCS is less healthy. The reason chef's are freaked out is due to the word 'high' being in the name of HFCS. In actuality, HFCS and sugar each contain 1/2 fructose and 1/2 glucose, the article states.

This sounds like a marketing campaign fight to me. It is noted in the article that the corn refiners are lobbying to get the HFCS name changed to "corn sugar" to lessen the freaked outedness (wait is that a word?).

Anyway, for what it's worth. What are sugar prices doing, as a result of all of this? And what have corn prices done as a result of all of this HFCS fight? Oh yeah, they both have either hit or been near historic highs in recent years.

Mike

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I know a guy who runs a small hole-in-the-wall eating place and he commented that the word going around through the resaraunt industry is that HFCS is more 'concentrated' than sugar, so it makes people fatter sooner than an equal amount of sugar. 

To me, you'd just use less of it, and get the same result, but what do I know?

0 Kudos
sonoma72
Veteran Contributor

kraft,

if you are interested in knowing what they are thinking then you should read michael pollan's books, everyone else is, specifically, "the omnivore's dillemma".  He goes into "great" detail on the questions you just asked( one chapter on corn is around 40 pages), pointing out that HFCS and cane sugar are nothing alike.  I believe the main contention is that HFCS tricks the body into thinking you havne't had any sugar and therefore you are inclined into eating more, thus making you unhealthy.  he also goes on to claim that americans eat more corn, through additives and supplements etc., than any other people on the planet, including mexicans, whom traditionally had the highest corn diet, eg. carbon 13.  I have been harping on this for a long time, this movement is not small and it is very specific.  The corn growers advertising that sugar is sugar is ridiculously simplistic and is falling on deaf ears, certainly for those that are big into the anti HFCS movement.  I guess my view is, if our defense to hundreds of pages in books that sell millions upon millions of copies that have actually changed people view is, sugar is sugar ( when in fact it is not), then we are in big trouble.  We are way behing the curve, again.

0 Kudos
sonoma72
Veteran Contributor

As a follow up.  One of the reasons that this is "gaining" traction is the looming calamity of america's obesity problem, and you certainly don't want to be on the losing side of that blame game.  This obesity issue is going to cost this country untold amounts of money, and if your industry is "blamed" for that, well kiss it good bye.

0 Kudos