cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hail damage

I talked to my guy today and asked what the hail adjuster said on my 80 acre field.m He said their was some bruises but not really damaged that badly.  Parallel to this 80 in a highline transmission line approximate 15-20 years old. the wind busted over a mile of those poles and they all had to be replaced.

I guess i'm lucky it didn't hurt my beans much but the combine will tell the tale. Sometime their comments are almost ludicrous but I guess it is what it is.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Hail damage

How long ago did it hail?  You can't tell much until a week has passed.  

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/live/ec128/build/ec128.pdf

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/efans/cropnews/2014/06/assessing-hail-damage-in-corn.html

Iowa State has a similar document.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

A couple of months ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The damage occurred a couple of months ago and the adjuster is just now ruling on it?  Or are you just now hearing about it?  Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

All I meant to mention was that one has to wait at least 4 days and better a week before assessing damage to soybeans, and in my rather limited experience bruises can come back to cause plants to not stand and to have poor development above the bruise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Don, we had hail about that time also. I have 10% deduct on corn and , while some leaves were stripped up, the top 6 were intact. All les than 10% . Rarely get paid on corn. Soybeans had alot of bruising, but the insurance company and i did not want to settle. I hate combining soybeans that have been bruised and lots of "broke overs" that i cant get. they will come just prior to harvest. Big question is, should i pay my premium before we settle or wait for the final decision??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I don't know when it was assessed Jim. My operator just related the comments to me. I have not spoken with the adjuster.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Neighbors told me years ago that if you have bruised stems, then you should not settle untile harvest since those stems are going to fall over when the plant dries and you will never harvest them. An adjuster may look at the potential yield, and sure, it will potentially be there if you hand harvest the plants, but lets be real...you are never going to get them into the combine and into the bin or to town.

I have personally seen that happen in my own fields, too, but only had hail insurance once by its self...the leaves got beat up on one farm pretty good, and some doorknob came out and looked at them and said it was wind damage , not hail damage, and that furthermore, none of the other neighbors were complaining . Guess the guy was trained not to settle a claim positively.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Actual hail damage doesn't go away, can be viewed and adjusted much later.  Adjusters are instructed to wait A MINIMUM of 7 to 10 days after the damage occurs before inspecting for an insurance claim, unless it needs to be replanted or it is essentially time to harvest.  Everybody rushing out to get hail claims inspected and paid is mostly for "bragging rights", and/or because we farmers demand it, and because the companies want to get as many open claims cleared off the books as quickly as possible.  I have always felt like I got treated better on hail claims if I didn't try to get the claims adjusters to rush out to look at it.  It's also helpful to know how others in the area got treated before the adjusters look at mine -- hail damage probably was not that much different across the fence or on the other side of the road.

Years ago, "minor" bruising, if excessive, was considered in the claim -- they don't really do this anymore for 2 main reasons -- first, studies showed that minor bruises really did not impact final yields, and second, there are were so many claims with minor bruising delays that companies had difficulty getting the claims cleared off their books (multiple inspections, delays, difficulty getting signatures, disagreements, etc.). 

Adjusters do still consider the impact of "major" bruising -- this is based on the type of bruising, not just the number of bruises.  Major bruises show up better at least 10 days after the storm, and remain visible.  These are the deep bruises, into the pith of the stem, that could impact final yields, and could become unharvestable (breaking over onto the ground at or before harvest).

On premium payments -- premiums are due whether or not you have a claim.  There is no reason for nonpayment of premium, and if left unpaid when due, you will likely be charged interest and/or penalties.  Not the same as private hail insurance, but I remember some guys who never paid their multi-peril premiums until they got their claims settled -- then the government made a new rule that basically says if you haven't paid your premium by a certain date, you can't buy multi-peril insurance from anywhere for the next 1 or 2 years -- your name goes on a government list, so nobody can sell it to you until your name gets off the list.

0 Kudos