cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Happy Memorial Day

I mowed a lot of hay on a Farmall H.  Thank you to all those who protected my freedom.

9 Replies
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Re: Happy Memorial Day

my first tractor driving experience was on an IH Farmall H and I own three of them, that will all get restored at some point to as nice of condition as I can. I have an M and a Super M, too, and wide fronts for a couple to put on. Those tractors will stay on my farm, along with the 656 and 856. Legendary, dependable performers.

I owe those old workhorses a lot....when you start out with a plate four row planter and an H tractor, and now plant with a 24 row and 200 plus HP front wheel assist tractors, you can sit back and reflect on the changes in ag. I even started plowing with an H and a two bottom plow. 

Those were good days, too. Miss farming with my late father, he has been gone a long time now. I was 22 when his farming career ended and mine began. I left college at the halfway point my senior year to get organized and plant the crop. Maybe that is why I don't have a lot of time for the "hippies" that spent all their time listening to whacked out professsors telling them how bad and evil America is while the good people are out there making it work.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Dad sometimes planted with a H  a 4 row 450 I believe the model was, I still have planter plates hanging on nails in the corn crib alleyway.  You had to get the right size seed for the plates you had  Smiley Happy  How the H pulled a 4 row and Dad put on 400lbs/acre 9-23-30 too  20hp on drawbar ..impressive

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

I think I only planted one year with my late father's 4 row, might have been a 450 also, and the plate sizing was always a challenge. I knew next to nothing about getting good yields, and was happy to break the 100 bpa mark, with 18000 population. A good guy at the local coop took pity on me and gave me his college agronomy books on crop production to read and educate myself. 

BA, ever go to Ceylon Mn to those spring community auctions? I bought a six row IH plate planter there the next spring, and a six row IH cultivator too and went to 30 inch rows. Several years later we had a dry spring and I watched my crop whither and not emerge while the neighbor with the shiny JD 7000 "maxemerge" had a perfect stand. I knew then that there was some technology issues with IH and found a six row JD 7000 for $4000 at a farm distress auction that was extremely low acres.  Huge improvement, and along with tile and 30000 populations took me from 100 bushel corn to 150 corn "overnight".

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Ceylon Smiley Very Happy   I`ve wanted to go but seems they always have a snowstorm.   I guess the whole town gets filled with machinery.  I was buying hay couple yrs ago from the family that owns the junkyard at Elmore and the son in law had a nice 12 row White planter I think 6100?  I commented on it and he said "yeah, I picked it up for $1750 at Ceylon" .  Well, when you start buying hay it goes on longer than you anticipate and my last load his wife says "See, the White planter? we`re selling it"  I asked whadda gotta have?  "$5,000" she says....I`ll think about it...2 years later still thinking ...i`ll stick with Green  Smiley Happy 

When i finally "got old enough to plant" I was about 28 Smiley Happy  I bought a 8 row 400 IH Cyclops planter I actually liked it (a cult of one)  if I could get large round seed, it was close to a JD finger pickup. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Those cyclos were ok.  We left the plate planter to go to them.  For dry land milo in the sw.  We bought two used 6 rows and built 40 ft folding bars and double folding markers.  Then mounted both side by side on the center section to make a 12 row 40" lister planter with 18,000 population.  lots of them ran in our area for a couple of decades.  Herbicide improvements and surface planting put them in iron pile.  But for what we needed at the time we were glad to get em.  Then the green stuff..... 

We had Massey Harris 55 & 44's first then went to Deere except for some poor decisions infected me, as they do when your young.  Bought a Versatile 835, which didn't make sense with a 40 ft  3 pt. planter.(lightened the front end in planting season and got by with it.  But in a covid like moment I bought the IH long nose 4x4.  The hydraulics wouldn't pick up the planter (well below the advertised load limit.

We ran the 1460's in harvest  --- bought em repossessed --- with a few modifications they were good machines.  Their only good engineering improvement was the combine.  Those 466 motors were good out here where its dry and seldom overloaded.  But sieves were at the wrong angle and vital parts wore fast.  engineering was lacking. 

Thanks for the leadership BA.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Feels a little hollow following the year when we were asked to make modest sacrifices for our country and failed catastophically.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I know this entails Trump being right....again.  But what if those of us that weren`t irrationally freaked out about Covid 19 weren`t totally wrong?  Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame asked an audience "What if safety isn`t first?", we always say "safety first! safety first!" Sometimes if a kid is drowning in the creek and you`ve had lunch a half hour ago, you have to throw caution into the wind and not wait the whole one hour after eating and just jump in and save the kid.  

My fear of this whole pandemic isn`t the 500,000 that died directly and indirectly from it, but rather the perhaps millions of us who will die from the economic collapse and all that will result from that. We`re learning more every day on how Covid was created in a lab and China knowingly or unknowingly infected the world with it.  If unknowingly, they did a cover up and owe the world reparations.  The sign at the Pottery Barn says "If you break it, you buy it!".

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Smile and join in with Lawrence Welks boys up north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09C8clJaXo

Presented in the blurriest form possible to protect the freedom of speech of The Welk boys who stepped over the PC Line to disagree.  The black booted comrads who protest with fire and hate reside in The Welk neighborhood...don't we know.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

The  remembrance  of  those folks  that  served,  being  a  somber  day  of  memorial  -  -  -

NO   bone  spurs ,  and  never  to  return  to file  a  Bankruptcy  Chapter  -  -  -    

0 Kudos